History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 The Chapel, Chapel Street, Evanton

A Category B Listed Building in Cromarty Firth, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6645 / 57°39'52"N

Longitude: -4.3424 / 4°20'32"W

OS Eastings: 260363

OS Northings: 866255

OS Grid: NH603662

Mapcode National: GBR H8NG.FNP

Mapcode Global: WH3DB.8MG6

Plus Code: 9C9QMM75+Q3

Entry Name: 1 The Chapel, Chapel Street, Evanton

Listing Name: Evanton, Former Secession Chapel

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339855

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7864

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kiltearn

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Cromarty Firth

Parish: Kiltearn

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Evanton

Description

Early 19th century, style of James Smith, 2-storey, 5-bay.
Almost square on plan, rubble with tooled ashlar dressings.
Advanced centre bay with centre hoodmoulded Minister's
entrance approached by flight steps; centre bay rises as
slender rectangular margined tower with 2 shaped stages and
ashlar clock face, terminating in moulded corniced platform
supporting pilastered bellcote with ogee cap and worn
weathervane. Pair doors in outer bays with roundheaded windows
above; similar roundheaded windows in inner centre bays,
formerly rising fullheight from ground floor, later divided
horizontally forming flat-headed windows in bays 2 and 4 of
ground floor. Later corniced tall wallhead stacks, rear
windows and door; piended slate roof.

Statement of Interest

Empty and in poor condition. Evanton dates from circa 1800,

laid out by Mr Fraser of Balconie (Evanton) to replace

former settlement of Drummond. Church terminates the main street

of planned village. Strong tradition of church secession

in Easter Ross; in Kiltearn Parish from 1770 till Disruption

of 1843. Building subsequently used as Free Church School,

appearing as such on 1st edition OS (1870). Much altered

building to west not listed.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.