History in Structure

Lilliesleaf Parish Church

A Category B Listed Building in Lilliesleaf, Scottish Borders

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.5193 / 55°31'9"N

Longitude: -2.7313 / 2°43'52"W

OS Eastings: 353920

OS Northings: 625307

OS Grid: NT539253

Mapcode National: GBR 94CM.G9

Mapcode Global: WH7X3.0JNN

Plus Code: 9C7VG799+PF

Entry Name: Lilliesleaf Parish Church

Listing Name: Lilliesleaf Church of Scotland Kirk Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 23 June 2003

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 340275

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8197

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200340275

Location: Lilliesleaf

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Parish: Lilliesleaf

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


1771; nave enlarged, belltower added and interior remodelled 1883 (see Notes); apse 1910; stained glass by William Wilson, 1966. Cruciform-plan church with 3-stage crenellated belltower. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. String and band courses, part mutuled eaves course. Round-headed openings. Moulded and chamfered reveals, stone mullions.

N ELEVATION: cross-finialled gabled elevation with large raised-centre tripartite window, further window on return to right and belltower (see below) in re-entrant angle to right.

BELLTOWER: 1st stage engaged to S and E, timber door with semicircular fanlight and decorative

ironwork hinges to N, band course above giving way to 2nd stage with glazed oculus to N and W, and datestone to N; 3rd stage with timber-louvered opening to N, E and W; all surmounted by crenellated parapet.

W ELEVATION: blank gabled bay with ball-finialled truncated belfry at gablehead, tower (see above) in re-entrant angle to left.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Conical-roofed apse to centre with 3 small windows, flanking slightly lower flat-roofed bays each with small window to outer return and further tall windows to outer bays.

E ELEVATION: dominant Celtic cross-finialled gable to left with 2 small projecting gables, window on return to right and door (as above) in re-entrant angle under gabled porch; set-back bay to right with single window.

Margined multi-pane glazing patterns some with decoratively-astragalled top light; stained glass to 3 small apse windows (see below). Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews, stepped to N, beaked skewputts to E and W. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and ironwork air vents.

STAINED GLASS: memorial windows depicting texts 'Be Servants One to Another' (signed 'WW 1966'), 'I am The Good Shepherd' and 'He Dwelt Among Us'; presented by Mr & Mrs W A Mactaggart of Bewlie House, Lilliesleaf, 17 April 1966.

INTERIOR: fixed timber pews, raked floor, boarded timber dadoes and moulded cornices. Romanesque-style arcaded Chancel screen with broad centre arch, flanking smaller arches, pilastered columns and further arches to flanking apsidal chambers. Marble mural monuments to transepts; polygonal timber pulpit dated 1910; pipe organ in fine timber housing; timber World War II memorial. Plain medieval drum-shaped font and child's stone coffin.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble boundary walls; pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers with 2-leaf ironwork gates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building is use as such. Group with Lilliesleaf Kirk Graveyard. Of the original 1771 building only the transepts remain, that building measured 52' x 41' and had a belfry. In 1882 Rev Robert Blackstock re-designed the building. Galleries were removed, the north side extended with raked floor and new pews. The belltower with its 'fine-toned bell' (Groome), also added in 1882, was a gift of Sir Edward Sprot of Drygrange. The 12th century font was restored in 1885 and the apse (added 1910) was funded by Dr Arthur Sym. The graveyard is listed separately.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.