This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4195 / 56°25'10"N
Longitude: -4.4428 / 4°26'34"W
OS Eastings: 249412
OS Northings: 727925
OS Grid: NN494279
Mapcode National: GBR HCDR.9NN
Mapcode Global: WH3L8.QXK4
Plus Code: 9C8QCH94+QV
Entry Name: Luib Hotel, Glendochart
Listing Name: Luib Hotel, Glendochart
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Last Amended: 9 July 2020
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340396
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8292
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
The Luib Hotel dates from the late 18th century, with additions of circa 1820 and later alterations. It is constructed of rubble with a white-painted harl render. The principal (south) front is three-bay, single storey and attic with a gabled centre bay with decorative timber bargeboards, a piended entrance porch and timber boarded door. The flanking bays have piended dormers breaking the eaves. Adjoining to the right is a two-bay, two-storey wing (added around 1820) set at right angles to earlier building. There is a lower two-storey parallel addition to the rear (north) forming an M-pile roof. There is also a low lean-to addition to the west elevation.
There are some timber sash and case windows with a 12-pane glazing pattern and some non-traditional replacement windows. There are stone gable stacks including a stack to the gable of the entrance bay. The roof has grey slates. The interior (seen 2005) has been modernised.
Still in use as a hotel (2020), the Luib Hotel is a good example of an early inn and it illustrates well the local bargeboard and gabled architectural tradition. It is prominently situated on the road between Killin and Crianlarich. The timber bargeboards, in the Breadalbane Estate Gothic style, are believed to have been added to the hotel around 1850.
A former detached stable building with hayloft and a further roofless range to the rear were demolished prior to 2020.
Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2020. Previously listed as 'Glendochart, Luib Hotel and Stables'.