This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6399 / 55°38'23"N
Longitude: -3.1155 / 3°6'55"W
OS Eastings: 329878
OS Northings: 639052
OS Grid: NT298390
Mapcode National: GBR 63P7.92
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.3HPP
Plus Code: 9C7RJVQM+XQ
Entry Name: Horsburgh Railway Viaduct
Listing Name: Horsburgh, Viaduct
Listing Date: 1 March 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340430
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8327
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Opened 1864. 5-span, iron plate-girder former railway bridge crossing River Tweed; riveted construction with brick in-fill under spans. Coursed rusticated sandstone ashlar cutwater piers.
N & S ELEVATIONS: 5 segmental-headed iron spans (girders supporting beneath) with riveted overhanging edge copes resting on tall rectangular cutwater piers (4); supported on riverbank by altered ashlar supports each with later path and embankment supporting. Track and ballast removed and modern footpath now laid; evidence of service pipes being carried across river to S.
Very early example of a plate-girder construction bridge in iron and one of a pair with Haughhead Viaduct (listed separately in Traquair parish). The North British Railway opened, in 1845, the Edinburgh to Hawick Railway. The line in the Peebles area, at this time, was contentious; the NBR only built on the north bank from the eastern areas up to Peebles, whilst the Caledonian Railway came across from the western approaches on the south bank. As an important resort town, the provision of a station was necessary for local economy as well as the two train companies. Local industry also relied on a rail link for the movement of their goods. In June 1866; the line reached Galashiels from Innerleithen and Peebles. This was a continuation of a railway opened by Peebles Railway Company from Eskbank (on the Edinburgh to Hawick line) to Peebles on 4th July 1855. With its extension, the Peebles line formed a loop between Eskbank and Galashiels, linking Hawthornden, Roslin, Penicuik and Leadburn as well as Peebles, Cardrona and Innerleithen. This new viaduct (Horsburgh) and railway station (Cardrona) were built and opened on the 10th October 1864. The viaduct linked Cardrona Station on the south side of the River Tweed to the north bank section of the railway. Cardrona Station was closed on the 5th February 1962 on the advice of the British Transport Commission. The former station (now altered) was the sales office for the newly constructed village of Cardrona and more recently the clubhouse for the new Cardrona Golf Course. The viaduct no longer carries trains, but foot passengers, cyclists and horses; it also provides a link to the golf course from the clubhouse. Listed as a good example of an iron plate-girder railway viaduct.
Other nearby listed buildings