This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6396 / 55°38'22"N
Longitude: -3.1113 / 3°6'40"W
OS Eastings: 330146
OS Northings: 639004
OS Grid: NT301390
Mapcode National: GBR 63Q7.66
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.5JP0
Plus Code: 9C7RJVQQ+RF
Entry Name: Cart Shed, Cardrona Mains
Listing Name: Cardrona Mains, Cart Shed
Listing Date: 1 March 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349048
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15438
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
1816 with circa 1840 and later 19th century alterations. Rectangular-plan cart shed with (in-filled) segmental-arched openings adjoining later buildings to form U-plan steading with west facing open cattle court. Coursed whinstone rubble with whinstone wedge voussoirs and rough-hewn whinstone long and short quoins; some cart arches now bricked up.
E (CART ARCH) ELEVATION: long 2-storey range, blind to extreme left with 4 segmental-headed cart arches to rest of ground floor elevation (arches 2 and 3 later in-filled with stone walls to just below ?-height with glazing in timber frames to upper arch; 1st and 4th arch alter similarly with entrance against outer jamb); to 1st floor, 2 small square windows (aligned with piers between arches 1 and 2 and 3 and 4) set high under eaves. To right, set of ashlar steps leading into heart of steading with single storey, multi-bayed range adjoining to right.
S ELEVATION: to left and centre, long wall of slightly later range with pair of widely and irregularly spaced doors with 2 very small later entrances (for animals) at extreme right of ground level; pair of roof lights. Adjoining to right, higher single storey building with very large segmental-headed arch to centre of elevation (now in-filled with high timber sliding door to right on full span timber runner, to left stone walling to bottom supporting 3 light timber window; corrugated-iron in-fill to top of arch).
W (CATTLE COURT) ELEVATION: single storey wall ends to left and right: left end with canted wallhead to right and full height entrance to left, right end blind; lower wall adjoining inner
N ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.
Variety of glazing planes in timber frames. Piended slate roofs with 2-pane cast-iron Carron lights and replacement roll ridging. Timber boarded doors (some sliding doors to larger openings). Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: retaining original layout, stone walls, some flagged floors with other replaced. Currently in use as stores, 2002.
Former cart shed to west of the farmhouse (listed separately). This farm lies about a mile away from Cardrona House (to which it was originally tied) on the north side of the B7062 immediately to the west of the new Cardrona Village. The farm was extended and improved in circa 1840 when the new Cardrona House was being built. Previously the farm (that is the original house and 1816 farm steading) was called 'Standin' Stane' after a large standing stone that is still sited in a field to the west. This stone (a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was erected to mark the spot of an ancient warrior who had fell here. During the mid 19th century improvements to the estate, some smaller farms (including Highland Shiel and Kirkburn) ceased to exist and their lands encompassed into the new 'Cardrona Mains' we see today. Originally the cart shed stood on its own with a now altered I-plan range to the north with paired cattle courts to the west. The rear range was accessed by a small road, which led directly from the main road (now the B7062) next to the mill dam (sited to the west of the range and now no longer in existence); it curved around and accessed the rear range around which was a field with a wooded boundary. The improvements saw buildings erected next to the cart shed, which in turn formed a new west facing U-plan range with the centrepiece being an open cattle court. Post-improvement, the west access road to the rear range vanished and was replaced by a new field boundary (with the wooded area cleared). Access was now to the east of the complex from the road that separated the farmhouse from the range and led directly to the U-plan steading to the rear of the farmhouse. Both access roads are in use at present following the removal of the small field enclosure to the south of the ranges (now a gravelled area) and the re-routing of the 'village' access road. Listed as a good example of an early small Borders steading, now nearly urban due to the proximity of the "new" Cardrona Village development.
Other nearby listed buildings