Latitude: 56.2204 / 56°13'13"N
Longitude: -2.9309 / 2°55'51"W
OS Eastings: 342369
OS Northings: 703485
OS Grid: NO423034
Mapcode National: GBR 2L.D1GN
Mapcode Global: WH7SH.YXH7
Plus Code: 9C8V63C9+5J
Entry Name: Largo Parish Church And Churchyard, Upper Largo
Listing Name: Upper Largo Largo Parish Church and Church Yard
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341236
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8989
Building Class: Cultural
ID on this website: 200341236
Location: Largo
County: Fife
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Parish: Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Tagged with: Church building Churchyard
Alexander Leslie, architect 1817 incorporating part of 17th century chancel and tower dated 1623. 1826: an aisle belonging to old church was incorporated. Renovated 1894 by Honeyman and Keppie, further restoration 1965 by L A Roland and Partners. Cruciform plan with various additions with Decorated and perpendicular Gothic detailing. Central tower and spire. Ashlar, with rendered chancel. Tall traceried windows in gables and some return walls either loop or perpendicular in design, hoodmoulds over windows, stepped string over window in east gable with date stone. Low crenellated parapets with squat apex and angle pinnacles. Shallow corbelled parapet to tower, facetted spire with low gabled louvered opening and weathervane. Interior: galleried at west and in transepts, with Gothic panelled gallery fronts. Low pitched, braced collar beam roof with traceried decoration. Pulpit, installed in Newburn Kirk 1815 and brought to Largo 1965, panelled with reeded pilasters supporting sounding board. A series of interesting, classical monuments, mainly to the Durham family. Circa 1808 to 1849, the early ones by J Dalziel, the later by David Ness. Stained glass in chancel and north east transept
J & W Guthrie circa 1880. Churchyard walls; a tablet states that in 1657 John Wood Esq caused the walls to be built. Rubble-built coped walls with two small, square gatehouses probably early 19th century set into walls flanking entrance at north east. There is an interesting collection of 17th, 18th and 19th century table tombs and headstones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. There is a Pictish cross slab in the churchyard which is Scheduled Ancient Monument No 820.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings