History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Courtyard House, The Burn

A Category B Listed Building in Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.8351 / 56°50'6"N

Longitude: -2.6607 / 2°39'38"W

OS Eastings: 359784

OS Northings: 771707

OS Grid: NO597717

Mapcode National: GBR WW.RJ5T

Mapcode Global: WH8QW.3G8H

Plus Code: 9C8VR8PQ+2P

Entry Name: The Courtyard House, The Burn

Listing Name: The Burn, Mansionhouse and Stable Block

Listing Date: 18 August 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 341775

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9500

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Fettercairn

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Mearns

Parish: Fettercairn

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Edzell

Description

1791; extended and altered, circa 1805 and again after 1814 and in this century. Large late Georgian mansion of 2 tall storeys; symmetrical 5-window south front, centre 3 slightly advanced and formerly with pediment containing roundel, one large bow added at ground floor each side of centre window; long asymmetrical flanks, that on west with

3-window South block with slightly advanced centre with big single-storey porte cochere with Roman Doric columns and parapet (formerly with balustrade) and tripartite window above, outer ground floor windows overarched tripartites. Long service wing, now raised to 2-storey and attic, connects to north court of stable offices, symmetrical north front with columned cupola. Fenestration mainly

12-pane sashes, a few windows altered. Greatly modernised, 1936, and further alterations since. Notable central hall through 2-storeys with fine ceiling of late Adam type.

Statement of Interest

Built by Lord Alan Gordon. Purchased after his death by Mr Brodie of Arnhall who altered & extended it; sold to Mr John Shand, 1814, who further altered and extended it; sold to Major William McInroy, 1836.

Now a residential conference centre.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.