This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.328 / 56°19'40"N
Longitude: -2.9127 / 2°54'45"W
OS Eastings: 343656
OS Northings: 715447
OS Grid: NO436154
Mapcode National: GBR 2L.5CL1
Mapcode Global: WH7S4.767P
Entry Name: Clatto House, Steading ('clatto Cottage')
Listing Date: 15 August 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342195
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9868
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
Possibly Burn and Bryce (see NOTES), dated 1853 on W gable. U-plan courtyard in plain Scots vernacular style, comprising L-plan range at S and E, and detached T-plan range to W (see NOTES). Courtyard enclosed at N by coped boundary wall in a symmetrical arrangement, with centre entrance flanked by pair of ashlar gatepiers and 2 subsidiary pedestrian entrances to either side (that to right blocked). Setted court with circular masonry (?)trough at centre. Openings of steading ranges slightly altered to accomodate new domestic use. Stugged and snecked sandstone, with droved ashlar dressings and raised margins at openings. Distinctive stack detailing (end stacks pierced by 2 rectangular ventilator openings); slated roofs.
L-PLAN RANGE: single storey, crowstepped N gable with finely detailed scroll-moulded skewputt and nosed skews. Chimney breast corbelled out slightly at centre of gable on moulded ashlar brackets (finely droved ashlar); garage door slapping below, presumably replacing a window opening similar to the 2 vertically placed windows at symmetrical gable of taller W range. Long range (built on slope) with various openings; corniced ridge stack at division of 2 rooms (3-bay section at S end). Piended roof to S. Modern timber porch at SE re-entrant angle.
Single storey S range also in domestic use, with same crowstepped eaves and detailing of end stacks; irregular openings, mostly altered (blind on rear elevation towards W end).
W (DETACHED) STABLES BLOCK: taller, single storey and loft range, built on slope: 2 vertically-placed window openings on N gable; 5-bay courtyard elevation with alternate 2-leaf doors (2, with narrow fanlights), and sash and case glazed windows (3, 12-pane). Single storey wing forming T-plan to rear; attached to this at right angles (parallel to main W range) is a coped wall enclosing a pen and hen-house at SW angle of steading (subject to alterations, 1991; see NOTES).
Burn and Bryce remodelled the pre-existing Clatto House for General John Low in 1845. It is presumed that the steading was built during the same phase of major alterations and additions, and may therefore also have been built to designs by Burn and Bryce.
The steading appears on the 1st Edition OS map of 1854, in much the same form as now existing (1991): an L-plan range at E and S (as existing), and a detached range, apparently with horse mill (no longer extant) at W. L-plan ranges currently in domestic use; proposed alterations, 1991, changing W T-plan range to domestic use, and linking it at SW angle to S wing of main L-plan range.
Other nearby listed buildings