This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0105 / 56°0'37"N
Longitude: -3.3945 / 3°23'40"W
OS Eastings: 313152
OS Northings: 680612
OS Grid: NT131806
Mapcode National: GBR 20.TCCP
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.T6S2
Plus Code: 9C8R2J64+66
Entry Name: Old School House, The Brae, North Queensferry
Listing Name: North Queensferry, the Brae, Old School House
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342383
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9986
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1827. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan former school house with square stair tower to N (rear); modern garage to W. Coursed hammer-dressed sandstone ashlar to S; rendered to W; painted rubble to S; stone cills; hoodmoulds; eaves course. Advanced pilastered doorpiece with original school bell and dedication inscription and date. 1st floor windows of square dimension.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced pilastered doorpiece with original bronze school bell fixed above, inscription to lintel 'BUILT BY SUBSCRIPTION / A D 1827'. Window to left; later single storey timber and glazed conservatory to right. 3 square 1st floor windows close to eaves, centred above ground floor openings.
E ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: large central 2-storey piended stair tower with large central stair light; door with fanlight and small square 1st floor window to right return; timber glazed lean-to porch to right encapsulating bipartite window to right-hand bay; corresponding bipartite window to left of stair tower. 1st floor windows flanking stair tower. Single storey modern garage to far right.
W ELEVATION: pitched single storey garage extension.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns; 8-pane timber sash and case bipartite windows to rear at ground floor (lower glazing bars to left window now missing); margin-paned timber stair window. Pitched roof; grey slates; raised flat-headed stone skews; coped hammer-dressed sandstone gablehead stack to E; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002.
This building was erected as the new school house for the children of North Queensferry as the former school at Melinkie Cottage (see separate listing), in use since 1769, was too small. The new building was a combined school and schoolhouse and was paid for by public subscription. When first built, this school was the last building in the village on the Ferryhills Road. It was used until 1875 when the children were moved to a new building (now demolished) adjoining to the W at which time the 1827 school was used entirely as the school master's residence. The west gable was reconstructed as a plain elevation when the 1876 school was demolished.
Other nearby listed buildings