This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0101 / 56°0'36"N
Longitude: -3.3956 / 3°23'44"W
OS Eastings: 313078
OS Northings: 680561
OS Grid: NT130805
Mapcode National: GBR 20.TC45
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.T66F
Plus Code: 9C8R2J63+2P
Entry Name: Willie's Well, Main Street, North Queensferry
Listing Name: North Queensferry, Main Street, Willie's Well
Listing Date: 27 March 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396749
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49175
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Possibly 17th century. Barrel-vaulted well set into random rubble wall; 20th century commemorative iron gate with decorative lion rampant casting. North Queensferry Heritage Trust plaque to right.
This well was a long-established source of fresh water for the village of North Queensferry presumably originating at Ferryhills. Its use for washing is assumed by its close proximity to the common green (as it was known in the 17th century), which was probably also used as a bleaching and washing green, this green was located nearby to the W until it was displaced by the existing highway in 1773. The former King's Highway ran alongside the green (Cubin). The well was disused by the end of the 19th century (Cunningham).
Other nearby listed buildings