This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.766 / 55°45'57"N
Longitude: -2.1083 / 2°6'29"W
OS Eastings: 393302
OS Northings: 652526
OS Grid: NT933525
Mapcode National: GBR F1QR.CW
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.LB8J
Entry Name: Paxton House Estate, Entrance Comprising South Lodge, East Lodge, Quadrant Walls, Piers and Entrance Screen
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342968
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10507
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid to later 18th century classical gate lodges with later additions and alterations, connected by late 18th century classical entrance screen. Single storey, 2- by single bay, rectangular-plan lodges with lean-to addition to rear S lodge; substantial additions to side and rear E lodge. Coursed and droved cream sandstone to entrance and S elevations; cream sandstone ashlar to N; part lined render, part harled addition to E lodge; lined render addition to S lodge; ashlar dressings. Base, lintel and eaves courses; plain margins; projecting cills.
E LODGE, W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: original block to left with timber panelled door to right; plate glass fanlight; single window to left. 3-bay addition recessed to right with timber panelled door to left; plate glass fanlight; single window to right; bipartite window to outer right. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay wing projecting to right with bipartite window to left; single window to right. Original block recessed to left with tripartite window at centre (part-painted, blind imitation side-lights). N (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block with Venetian window at centre (painted blind imitation glazing to round-arched upper and narrow side-lights). Piended addition recessed to left. E (REAR) ELEVATION: single window centred in piended wing to right. Later L-plan addition to left. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs. Brick-built ridge stacks; circular cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
S LODGE, E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door to left; painted blind imitation 3-pane fanlight. Single window to right. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block with tripartite window at centre (painted blind imitation side-lights). Single window in lean-to addition to outer left. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block with Venetian window at centre (painted blind imitation glazing to round-arched upper and narrow side-lights). Lean-to addition recessed to right. W (REAR) ELEVATION: near full-width, lean-to addition with 2-bay projection to left. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Brick-built ridge stack; circular can. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
QUADRANT WALLS AND PIERS: coped, coursed and droved cream sandstone quadrant walls adjoining E elevation E lodge and W elevation S lodge. Corniced, square-plan sandstone piers to outer left and right respectively; surmounting urns.
ENTRANCE SCREEN: low, corniced screen of rectangular-plan pillars flanking drive with engaged pilasters adjoining W elevation E lodge and E elevation S lodge respectively. Central pillars surmounted by urns; paired, inner gatepiers surmounted by seated lions inscribed 'Coade London 1789'. Spearheaded iron railings set between piers, above low, coped walls; 2-leaf, spearheaded iron gate at centre.
Paxton House Estate A Group comprises 'Boundary Walls, Railings & Gatepiers', 'Bridge', 'Dene Cottage', 'The Dower House', 'Entrance comprising South Lodge, East Lodge, Quadrant Walls, Piers & Entrance Screen' 'Garden Cottage', 'Ice House', 'North Lodge & West Lodge', 'Paxton House', 'Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. Set within the boundaries of the INVENTORY site, to the NE of Paxton House. A well-detailed pair of gate lodges thought to be contemporary with the house. The later entrance screen was commissioned by Ninian Home (Patrick Home's cousin), and was probably completed around 1789. Chippendale and Haig supplied an estimate for 4 urns and a pair of recumbent lions - 2 of these pillars and urns were removed when the screen was widened in 1991. See separate list entry for the pair of simpler lodges immediately to the N - 'Paxton House, West Lodge' and 'Paxton House, North Lodge'.
Other nearby listed buildings