This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4072 / 56°24'25"N
Longitude: -3.211 / 3°12'39"W
OS Eastings: 325366
OS Northings: 724542
OS Grid: NO253245
Mapcode National: GBR 27.0BL1
Mapcode Global: WH6QG.N740
Plus Code: 9C8RCQ4Q+VH
Entry Name: Railway Station And Signal Box, Errol
Listing Name: Errol Station Old Station Including Footbridge and Fencing
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344191
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11600
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
Possibly Andrew Heiton, dated 1847. Single storey and attic, L-plan station with station master's house now museum. Squared and snecked rubble with dressed ashlar margins. Hoodmoulds; stone mullions.
NW ELEVATION: symmetrical. 2-leaf panelled timber door to centre with windows in flanking bays, all hoodmoulded; later lean-to bay to outer left.
SW ELEVATION: advanced bay to left with wide-centre tripartite at ground and single window in gablehead; recessed station entrance to right with timber porch in re-entrant under verandah with 4 cast-iron columns and further wide-centre tripartite to outer right.
SE (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: advanced bay to left with wide-centre corniced canted tripartite, station clock to upper sash of centre light, window above giving way to moulded stone dated '1847' in gablehead, further window on return to right. Set-back bays to right with verandah on 5 cast-iron columns extending beyond building to screen wall at outer right; 4 recessed bays with alternately positioned doors and windows.
NE ELEVATION: slightly altered elevation with variety of elements including advanced gable of station to left, forestair on return to right and recessed face of station master's house to right.
4-, 12- and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Brick stacks with full complement of cans. Deeply overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.
FOOTBRIDGE: lattice girder and cast-iron footbridge.
FENCING: timber picket fencing and gates.
The Dundee and Perth and Aberdeen Railway Junction Company came into being in 1845 with capital of ?250,000. Opened in 1847, the first station master was Thomas Jagger, the company was not initially successful and by 1863 had become the Scottish Central Railway having joined with the Dundee and Newtyle Railway and the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. This amalgamation was subsequently taken over in 1865 by the Caledonian Railway. The last station master left Errol in 1976, and the station finally closed on 28th September, 1985. Purchased by the Errol Station Trust, the buildings were carefully restored and opened as The Railway Heritage Centre on 26th May 1990, winning the Railway Preservation Societies/Ian Allan Premier Award for Best Preserved Station in Britain that same year. By 2000 the museum was closed, and the premises subsequently returned to domestic dwellings (house and former signalman's flat). The station house at Inchture is of similar design but has been spoiled by removal of verandahs.
Other nearby listed buildings