This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4142 / 56°24'51"N
Longitude: -3.2163 / 3°12'58"W
OS Eastings: 325050
OS Northings: 725328
OS Grid: NO250253
Mapcode National: GBR VD.7SXK
Mapcode Global: WH6QG.K1MM
Plus Code: 9C8RCQ7M+MF
Entry Name: Farmhouse And Former Chapel, East Inchmichael, Errol
Listing Name: East Inchmichael Farmhouse and Former Chapel Including Ancillary Building, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 21 September 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395559
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48154
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
Probably 18th century in origin, chapel and porch (possibly) added 1876; 1st floor tripartite windows added earlier 20th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan farmhouse with discreet former chapel. Clay and horsehair, harl and dressed ashlar with painted ashlar dressings; brick chapel. Gothic-arched door. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Panelled timber door with traceried fanlight and window to each return of porch to centre bay at ground, window above and full-height polygonal-roofed canted tripartites to outer bays. Lower slightly set-back bay (former chapel) to outer right with steeply-pitched roof, door to centre and windows in flanking bays.
NE (CHAPEL) ELEVATION: small dormer-type traceried window with decorative bargeboarding to centre of projecting polygonal (apse) of chapel, return to right with tall shouldered brick stack and window beyond to right; recessed face with window to each floor and ancillary building (see below) to right, further windows beyond.
SW ELEVATION: dominant gable to right with window at ground and further window in set-back lean-to bay at left.
NW ELEVATION: advanced gable to left with small window in gablehead and lower pitch-roof and lean-to projections, windows on right return and bay to right with further lean-to projection.
4-, 8-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; traceried and timber casement windows to chapel. Grey slates. Coped and shouldered ashlar and harled stacks with cans.
CHAPEL INTERIOR: hammerbeam roof with cross-brace detail and boarded timber dado. Fireplace added 20th century.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: 2-storey brick dairy with windows to ground NE and NW, and 1st floor NE; adjoining house to SW. Grey slates, shouldered brick stack and plain bargeboarding.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers with rubble boundary walls.
The Inchmichael Estate belonged to Lord and Lady Kinnaird until 1912. The Episcopal chapel, presumably funded by the Kinnairds, was built for the then tenant Rev Alexander Penrose Forbes when he became Bishop of Brechin in 1875. The Bishop vacated East Inchmichael in 1882, the property subsequently purchased by forbears of the present family in 1908. A photograph taken circa 1920 shows the front of the house with overhanging eaves and small pedimented dormers breaking eaves over outer bays. The name 'Inchmichael' may derive from the hermit 'Gillemichel' who lived at Inchmichael; 'inches' or islands were small habitable places in the partial swamp of Carse of Gowrie.
Other nearby listed buildings