This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4394 / 56°26'21"N
Longitude: -3.1967 / 3°11'47"W
OS Eastings: 326314
OS Northings: 728115
OS Grid: NO263281
Mapcode National: GBR VD.6CC5
Mapcode Global: WH6Q8.VDYS
Entry Name: Inchmartine Coach House and Dovecot with Former Chapel
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344200
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11610
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1800 with later chapel (see below). Single storey, U-plan coach house with classical pend entrance and octagonal dovecot. Stuccoed pend, ashlar dovecot, rubble and harl.
SW ELEVATION: tall, pedimented, round-headed arch pend entrance to centre giving way to dovecot with narrow round-headed window-effect openings to each face, that to W glazed (some with evidence of flight holes but mostly blind) whole surmounted by cornice, blocking course and ball-finialled metal dome. Window immediately to left, 2 boarded timber doors with small-pane fanlights beyond. Window to right with modern lean-to porch beyond.
SE ELEVATION: door to right of centre with 2 windows beyond to right, altered casement window to left with door beyond to left and broad blank bay to outer left under corrugated roof.
NW ELEVATION: 3 windows to residential bays at left; stables to right with large altered door under sloping corrugated roof.
OUTER ELEVATIONS: variety of openings, some altered, including inappropriate garage door to right of NE (entrance) elevation.
12-pane and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows unless stated otherwise. Grey slates and corrugated-iron. Coped harled stack; ashlar-coped skews.
CHAPEL: later 19th century. Swept-roof, slated and barge-boarded, red sandstone, 4-bay chapel. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Raised base course, corbelled eaves cornice and round-headed openings. Interior rib-vaulted.
SW ELEVATION: pitch-roofed stone porch breaking eaves to left of centre, boarded timber door, small light to left and 2 further lights to right.
SE ELEVATION: gabled elevation with tall raised-centre tripartite.
NE ELEVATION: 4 regularly-disposed small lights.
NW ELEVATION: stonework removed to allow tractor access.
Inchmartine House, Ice House, Lodge House and Walled Garden are listed separately. The chapel appears as Roman Catholic on the 1901 OS map. Interestingly, Westown Church (listed separately) is referred to as 'The Kirk of Blessed Virgin of Inchmartine' which dedication may reasonably in fact rather belong to this building.
Other nearby listed buildings