This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6817 / 55°40'54"N
Longitude: -2.5655 / 2°33'55"W
OS Eastings: 364541
OS Northings: 643284
OS Grid: NT645432
Mapcode National: GBR B2JR.C2
Mapcode Global: WH8XJ.KGK4
Plus Code: 9C7VMCJM+MR
Entry Name: The Old Manse, St Michael's Church, Manse Road, Gordon
Listing Name: Manse Road, the Old Manse and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 7 November 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345968
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12996
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1803 incorporating some earlier fabric. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, U-plan, Classical manse with gabled roof and canted dormers. Lower piend-roofed service wing to NW and single storey modern wing to NE. Harled and washed masonry with droved sandstone ashlar dressings (mostly painted). Eaves course Tabbed quoins; regular fenestration to front with raised window margins. 2 steps to 9-panelled recessed timber door in simple architrave with Doric pilasters and cornice with small triglyphs. Fanlight with decorative glazing pattern.
Predominantly 12- and 9-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Gablehead ashlar-coped stacks and wallhead ashlar-coped brick stack on rear elevation; octagonal yellow clay cans. Welsh slate roofs; zinc ridges.
INTERIOR: simple Classical detailing with some Edwardian alterations. 6-panelled doors and simple cornices throughout. Cantilevered timber staircase with Edwardian timber balusters and rail, rising in front of central rear window. Dining room with original black marble chimneypiece and segmental-arched buffet niche with flanking Doric pilasters. Drawing room with Greek key-patterned dado rail. Large stone chimneypiece in kitchen. Timber chimneypieces with tiled inserts at first floor (probably Edwardian); those on second floor original .
WALLED GARDEN: rubble walls with rounded rubble cope and timber boarded entrance gate at SE corner.
A good, largely unaltered early 19th century manse with simple Classical detailing. A church was in existence in Gordon from before the 12th century as in 1171 it was transferred by the monks of Coldingham to those of Kelso. The present parish church dates from 1763. The present manse is a replacement for an earlier building on the same site, remnants of which are still apparent in the cellar and back hall. Two pathways, older than the existing buiding, the Monks Walk on the North side of the manse and the Ladies' Walk on the South connect the manse to the church across the glebe lands through a gate in the churchyard wall and directly into the churchyard.
Early maps indicate that by 1863 the manse was L-shaped, the NW rear wing being original or an early addition. The NE wing was added before 1908. Maps also seem to indicate that the walled garden had been constructed by 1826.
Other nearby listed buildings