History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Church, Eden Road, Gordon

A Category B Listed Building in Gordon, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6804 / 55°40'49"N

Longitude: -2.5616 / 2°33'41"W

OS Eastings: 364780

OS Northings: 643130

OS Grid: NT647431

Mapcode National: GBR B2KR.6K

Mapcode Global: WH8XJ.MHC6

Plus Code: 9C7VMCJQ+48

Entry Name: East Church, Eden Road, Gordon

Listing Name: Gordon, Old East End Church

Listing Date: 18 August 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346477

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13349

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Gordon

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire

Parish: Gordon

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Gordon

Description

Dated 1843 with 1893 additions. Church no longer in ecclesiastical use (1992); adjoins cottages to W. 1843 building of whinstone with sandstone dressings; 1893 porch and tower addition to pink sandstone with polished cream ashlar dressings, forming L-plan. Long and short quoins and window surounds; crowstepped gables.

S ELEVATION: advanced gabled porch with corbelled circular section bell tower in re-entrant angle to left; roll-moulded round-arched doorway with inscription over; 2-leaf wrought-iron gates; chamfered angles at ground; hoodmould to round-arched painted glass window at 1st floor. Corbelled tower: single windows at 1st floor; "1893" datestone; 4 clocks; arcade of round-arched openings above pepperpot roof; lead finial. 3 bays to main body of church, each containing round-arched

E ELEVATION: single window at ground to E gable.

Fixed small-pane windows. Grey slate roof; stone fleur-de-lys finials; 2 brick stacks to N.

INTERIOR: original fittings removed.

window.

Statement of Interest

Former Free Church, prominently sited at E entrance to village on A6105. The porch, tower, belfry and a library for the use of the minister were gifted to the church in 1892 by Mr Wood Brown.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.