History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Collegehill House, Roslin

A Category B Listed Building in Lasswade, Midlothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8556 / 55°51'20"N

Longitude: -3.1607 / 3°9'38"W

OS Eastings: 327439

OS Northings: 663101

OS Grid: NT274631

Mapcode National: GBR 60CQ.JR

Mapcode Global: WH6T6.F24V

Plus Code: 9C7RVR4Q+7P

Entry Name: Collegehill House, Roslin

Listing Name: Rosslyn, Collegehill House, Formerly the Old Inn, Including Boundary Walls and Gateway

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346009

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13029

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lasswade

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian West

Parish: Lasswade

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Loanhead

Description

Dated 1660 with later alterations and additions. 2 storey, 3-bay traditional L-plan house with flat-roofed square-plan porch to re-entrant angle at rear. Sandstone rubble with harled wing to W; rough stone margins to windows and raised cills to harled block; date inset over lintel. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 4-bay, grouped 1-3 with outer left bay harled. 3-bay group to right: deep-set timber door with 3-light narrow rectangular fanlight above at ground in bay to centre; inscribed plaque (later) to right of door; non-aligned window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay flanking. Harled bay to outer left: boarded door with letterbox fanlight above, centred at ground; window at 1st floor above. S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay with gabled bay advanced to outer left and square-plan porch to angle. 2-bay group to right: window in each bay at ground; window at 1st floor, centred between bays above. Part-glazed and boarded door to S of added porch. Gabled bay to outer left: window at ground offset to right; gablehead window offset to right above; gablehead stack. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: near symmetrical, 3-bay. Boarded door at ground in bay to centre with small window flanking to right; window at 1st floor above; gablehead stack above. Window at each floor in bays flanking. 12-pane timber sash and case windows; 6-pane timber sash and case window to gablehead; red pantiled roof with grey slate easing course; harled coped stacks to E and W gableheads; stack offset to left to roof; ashalr skews; cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen, 1996. BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEWAY: pointed-arched pedestrian gateway adjoining house to E. High rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Interest

The house, now a private dwelling, was until 1866 the local inn which played host to the many tourists that came to see the chapel, the innkeeper being the custodian of the chapel. The windows, reglazed in the 18th century, bear the names of some of the more famous visitors to the chapel such as Johnson, Boswell, Robert Burns, the Wordsworths and also Prince Edward (later Edward VII). McWilliam comments on the staircase, inside, whose cut out balusters are probably early 18th century.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.