History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Parish Church Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Liff

A Category B Listed Building in Monifieth and Sidlaw, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4829 / 56°28'58"N

Longitude: -3.084 / 3°5'2"W

OS Eastings: 333339

OS Northings: 732841

OS Grid: NO333328

Mapcode National: GBR VH.5FL8

Mapcode Global: WH6Q4.L9NY

Plus Code: 9C8RFWM8+5C

Entry Name: Old Parish Church Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Liff

Listing Name: Liff, Parish Church Including Churchyard, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers, and Old Font

Listing Date: 11 June 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346268

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13214

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Liff and Benvie

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw

Parish: Liff And Benvie

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Liff

Description

William MacKenzie, Perth, 1839. Rectangular-plan, Gothic church with tower and spire at E end. Stugged pink and cream sandstone coursers, ashlar (mostly droved) dressings, slate roof. Base course, chamfered angles, crowstepped gables. Shallow-pointed Y-traceried windows with chamfered margins; hoodmoulds at E front, mask corbel/label stops to doors and 1st floor tower window; stepped, chamfered doorcases.

E (ENTRANCE) GABLE: slightly advanced 2-stage entrance tower at centre; 2-leaf panelled door with astragalled pointed fanlight, leaded diamond panes, window above; louvred windows to all elevations at 2nd stage; parapet of crowstepped pediments and finialled dies, pyramidal stone spire with flying buttresses at angles, lucarnes? to all elevations. 2-leaf doors with window above flank tower at main elevation.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: 3 large windows, symmetrically placed.

W ELEVATION: 2 large windows, round window above.

INTERIOR: Vestibule: boarded dado; 2 stone geometric stairs to gallery; profusely carved memorial stone (1742) to James Cocks of Locheye, his wife Isobel Doig and son William, removed from Dargie churchyard 1914; plaster cast of circa 9th century stone depicting horseman, found at Bullion Farm, Invergowrie, 1934 (original in Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh); classical memorial to Alexander Watt, (died 1851); alms dish dated 1751. Original pitchpine pews, some convertible to communion tables, boarded dado; horseshoe gallery supported on timber columns, fluted octagonal section above pews, panelled gallery front, raised elongated bookrest at E bearing set of shields depicting the lion rampart (Gray family) and allegorical representation of naval victory of Camperdown (Duncan family); 2 stained glass windows to W gable in memory of Rev John Wilson, J and W Guthrie, Glasgow; 2 manual and pedal organ, Alexander Young and Sons, Manchester 1880, pump handle intact; font, 2nd World War memorial.

CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: mostly 19th and 20th century tombstones; plain ?consecration? cross in churchyard extension (1933) constructed from stone taken from the ?Hurly Hawkin? (Scheduled Monument, see Dalgetty); rubble boundary walls, saddleback-coped with cast-iron railings to E, 2 ashlar gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps, cast-iron gate.

OLD FONT: plain, octagonal pre-Reformation stone font (damaged) to N of entrance tower.

Statement of Interest

An ecclesiastical building in use as such. Liff and Benvie parishes were united in 1753, the united parish including parts of Logie and Invergowrie; Logie was disjoined in 1877 and Invergowrie in 1916. The parish united with Fowlis Easter in 1953. The drawings produced for the present church by William Burn were rejected for being too costly. The outline of the 1774 church and that which preceded it may be detected to the north of the present building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.