History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leanchoil Hospital (Main Block), St Leonard's Road, Forres

A Category B Listed Building in Forres, Moray

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.604 / 57°36'14"N

Longitude: -3.5916 / 3°35'29"W

OS Eastings: 304984

OS Northings: 858225

OS Grid: NJ049582

Mapcode National: GBR K8HM.HGW

Mapcode Global: WH5HB.S4WJ

Plus Code: 9C9RJC35+H8

Entry Name: Leanchoil Hospital (Main Block), St Leonard's Road, Forres

Listing Name: St Leonards Road, Leanchoil Hospital Main Block

Listing Date: 24 February 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346437

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13313

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Forres

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Forres

Parish: Forres

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Forres

Description

Hospital block, centrepiece of a complex comprising three main blocks (two of which are unlisted), each of differing dates; also lodge (listed separately). Designs for original block (now known as East and West Wings) were submitted July 1889 by J Rhind of Inverness; the plans were then sent to H Saxon Snell, a London architect with a reputation for hospital designs, for his comment. Rhind died in August, but Mr Rhinds plans were highly approved of by Mr Snell who offered to complete on the same terms the work so well begun.

Moray and Nairn Express, 9.1.1892. Rhinds design was by him ie snell adopted almost in its entirety ibid 21.5.92. Opened on 24th April 1892 date inscribed 1892. Planned as a general Cottage Hospital with separate infectious diseases block. Symmetrical; essentially 3 parallel blocks linked by corridors. Combines Tudor/Jacobean detailing. Rubble-built with contrasting ashlar dressings; original sash windows in centre block; decorative skews and stacks; slate roofs throughout. 2-storey centre block has entrance bay set between pair close-spaced gabled bays, mullioned and transomed windows, shaped gable-heads, square clock tower behind with louvred ventilator, a simplified version of the tower of eg Stirling Town House. Single storey ward blocks originally set out with males to left on entering, females to right; angle pavilions circualr to front, square at rear containing lavatories etc; axial ventilators; front walls altered from 2-window which originally had canted centre bays were made flat-roofed with large windows possibly c1939, when maternity wing was added to SE. Additions alterations to front use original materials, except for (c. 1939) glazing to corridors, modern glazing to ward blocks.

Statement of Interest

1939 Maternity Wing and Nurses Home both excluded from listing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.