This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.915 / 58°54'53"N
Longitude: -3.3385 / 3°20'18"W
OS Eastings: 323011
OS Northings: 1003847
OS Grid: HY230038
Mapcode National: GBR L535.CDP
Mapcode Global: WH6B6.P6F1
Plus Code: 9CCRWM76+XJ
Entry Name: Kennels, Hoy Lodge, Hoy
Listing Name: Hoy, Hoy Lodge Including, Kennels, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 24 August 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346816
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13628
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Hoy and Graemsay
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: Stromness and South Isles
Parish: Hoy And Graemsay
Traditional County: Orkney
Original, pre-1880 S range incorporated in L-plan additions, William Lethaby, 1900, forming 2-storey, crowstepped-gabled, U-plan traditional Orkney laird's house with later additions to N and E. Harled.
S (ORIGINAL) RANGE: S ELEVATION: irregular, 5-bay. 2 windows to lean-to porch at ground in bay to left of centre; window in left return; door in right return. (Enlarged) 3-light window at ground in bay to outer left; window at 1st floor above. Irregularly disposed window at each floor in remaining bays to right. Gabled return to right: window at ground to left; window at 1st floor to right; gablehead stack above. gabled return to left: window at each floor to left; gablehead stack above.
W RANGE: W ELEVATION: irregular 6-bay with garden wall between 2nd and 3rd bays (from left). Window at ground in bay to centre; blank above. Window at each floor in bay to penultimate right; stair window to outer right (advanced 2-bay S range return to extreme right). Window at each floor in remaining bays to left. E (INTERNAL) ELEVATION: single storey, regularly fenestrated, 3-bay. N RANGE: S ELEVATION: regular, 3-bay. Window at each floor in each bay. N ELEVATION: regular 3-bay with 2-bay W range return to outer right. Window in each bay at 1st floor; lean-to with door in left return between centre and right bays. Single storey lean-to to E gable.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; small rooflights to various pitches. Traditional graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; harled corniced ridge and gablehead stacks; uPVC rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.
BOUNDARY WALLS: fine, extensive random rubble, battered garden walls bounding L-plan site with rounded corners and coping. Drum piers to S vehicular gateway with stepped caps; square piers to E vehicular gateway with pyramidal caps.
KENNELS: sited to NE corner of garden. Gabled, stone, 2-bay building with square-headed entrance in each bay to E; small opening to gablehead; wall to runs running S; dwarf walls to railings at S. Traditional graded stone tiled roof.
The original south range was part of two ranges evident pre 1881 at a site marked 'The Park'. When extended in 1900, it was first named Orgil Lodge, lying as it does to the west of Orgil. It was built and extended as part of the Melsetter Estate at which Lethaby worked extensively, providing some outstanding Arts and Crafts work (see separate listing of Melsetter House, Walls and Flotta Parish). It is noted as being 'one of two mansions on the island' (Groome), the other being Melsetter, and as having belonged, at the time of writing, to John George Moodie Heddle. The original stone tiled roof has been retained and interest is added by the unusual inclusion of a pair of kennels.
Other nearby listed buildings