History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway, Woolmet House

A Category A Listed Building in Dalkeith, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9173 / 55°55'2"N

Longitude: -3.1101 / 3°6'36"W

OS Eastings: 330715

OS Northings: 669917

OS Grid: NT307699

Mapcode National: GBR 60Q0.GN

Mapcode Global: WH6SV.6J8K

Plus Code: 9C7RWV8Q+WX

Entry Name: Gateway, Woolmet House

Listing Name: Danderhall Miners' Club, Woolmet House Gateway and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 347477

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14184

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Newton

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Dalkeith

Parish: Newton

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Liberton

Description

Circa 1686. Renaissance entrance gateway. Triumphal arch flanked by high classical piers. Ashlar with later random rubble walls flanking. Later stone lion.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: semi-circular archway with projecting keystone on channel jointed piers with shaped imposts; pilasters with cushioned courses, ovolo moulding on capitals with egg and dart ornamentation flanking; entablature: coursed architrave, triglyph detail on frieze, projecting banded cornice, later worn stone lion surmounting; further squared piers with corniced capitals; adjoining smaller setback pillars with cyma reversa capitals, vertical gap for original iron railings to exterior returns.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: as W elevation with less definition and ornamentation.

BOUNDARY WALL (surrounding playing fields): random rubble wall with shaped stone copes and small squared gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

Woolmet House was built around two sides of a courtyard. The house had never been modernised or restored but it had to be abandoned after fissures and rents were discovered due to subterranean mine workings. It was set in its own gardens and parklands, some of which survive. Woolmet was described as being in a dilapidated condition at the beginning of the 20th century, and was given over to the National Trust in 1947. The house was demolished in 1954, although parts of the interior are now said to be in the Castle of Mey, Caithness and Northfield House, Preston. The surviving gateway now forms the entrance to Danderhall Miners' Social Club and Recreation ground. It is now a focal point for the modern community. Woolmet-Edmonstone (both names of sizeable houses now gone) used to be a village, but has become even smaller due to people moving to more modern accommodation in the Danderhall area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.