This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9111 / 55°54'39"N
Longitude: -3.1112 / 3°6'40"W
OS Eastings: 330634
OS Northings: 669220
OS Grid: NT306692
Mapcode National: GBR 60Q2.7W
Mapcode Global: WH6SV.5PQC
Entry Name: Old Dalkeith Road, Drum House, East Lodges with Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347479
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14185
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dalkeith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Late 18th century. Pair of classical single storey lodges to Drum House, linked by quadrant walls with paired rusticated ashlar gatepiers and gates.
LODGE: NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced pavilions to road with Venetian windows to centre, external shuttering to left lodge; blank elevations to each return, adjoining rubble boundary wall to estate. Stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings to road and chimneys, squared rubble sides and rear.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: SE lodge roughly U-plan with door in re-entrant angle, regular fenestration to each side, NW lodge
Venetian windows: centre lights glazed with 12-pane timber sash and case window, side lights blind; mostly 12-pane to SW elevation, some 16-pane. Piended slate roofs with coped ashlar ridge stacks; flat roof with ornamental vent on later extension, irregular Carron lights.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
QUADRANT WALLS AND GATES: walls: base course and moulded gablet coping, adjoining paired rusticated gatepiers with cornice, each with stone overthrow to pedestrian access below with moulded surround and timber boarded doors. Wrought-iron lamps-holders (lamps missing) to innermost piers. Wrought-iron gates of simple design with semi-circular bracing.
A-Group with The Drum, Gardener's Cottages, Icehouses, Mercat Cross, Stables, Steading, Walled Garden and West Lodges. Listed separately, they are situated within the City of Edinburgh boundaries. This pair of Lodges were the E entrance for the House of Drum Estate, built in the earlier 18th century. It was a Palladian mansion designed by William Adam for James, Twelfth Lord Somerville (1698-1765).
Other nearby listed buildings