This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4215 / 55°25'17"N
Longitude: -4.6521 / 4°39'7"W
OS Eastings: 232246
OS Northings: 617377
OS Grid: NS322173
Mapcode National: GBR 48.0H52
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.HZYP
Entry Name: Newark Castle
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347601
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14300
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton
Traditional County: Ayrshire
16th (possibly 15th) century tower house sited on rocky outcrop. Old part of tower from 2 periods, originally square with later addition forming rectangle. Further 17th century additions were demolished for construction of ornate Baronial extension by David Cousins, circa 1850. Further wing in plainer Baronial style was added by James Miller, 1907-08. Harled tower, later additions in sandstone ashlar. String courses. Pedimented dormers, crowstepped gables, balconies and pepper-pot tourelles.
S ELEVATION: 4-storey 3-bay tower to right with machicolated parapet, extended to 4th bay to left with bipartite windows and pedimented dormer. 3-storey mid-19th century baronial wing to left with advanced crow-step gabled entrance bay above architraved doorpiece forming principal elevation; single and bi-partite multi-paned window to each floor. 3-storey early 20th century wing to left, crow-stepped gables to end bays with ballustraded central section. Irregular fenestration.
N ELEVATION: tower house to left. Mid 19th century advanced wing to centre, rounded corner bartizan with conical roof. Central 2-bays with pedimented wallhead dormers and advanced crow-stepped gable with large heavily corbelled oriel window supported by consoled balcony and flanked by pepper-pot tourelles. 6-bay early 20th century wing to right, crow-step gabled outermost bay with canted bay window to 1st and 2nd storey.
INTERIOR: ornate mid 19th century interior scheme by Cousins in place, including barrel vaulted Drawing Room with ornate shell alcoves and marble fireplaces, an exposed masonry barrel vaulted Dining Room located in the tower house and stair and upper hall with deep decorative cornicing. Original early 20th century interior scheme to billiard room, located in the 1908 wing.
Newark Castle is a fine example of the development of a Scottish Castle over several centuries with historic connections to the Kennedy family who obtained the castle in the late 18th century. The castle is made up of three distinct phases of building. The original square-plan tower house was extended in the 17th century, doubling its footprint (MacGibbon and Ross, Vol 3 p 379) low lying additons were also added around this time, although these were demolished to make way for the new wing in the 19th century. At this time the tower was reconstructed by David Cousins, and he designed the highly detailed Baronial Wing, both around 1850; this work was undertaken for the Marquis of Ailsa. A further wing was added in the early 20th century by James Miller, working for the Walker family, which although plainer, is still Baronial in style. The composition of these three distinct phases is nevertheless harmonious and creates a highly distinctive building. Its setting high on a rock outcrop also makes a major contribution to the landscape.
Castle upgraded from Category B to A (20.7.2006).
Other nearby listed buildings