History in Structure

Oldhamstocks Parish Church, Oldhamstocks

A Category A Listed Building in Oldhamstocks, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9282 / 55°55'41"N

Longitude: -2.4209 / 2°25'15"W

OS Eastings: 373799

OS Northings: 670651

OS Grid: NT737706

Mapcode National: GBR NFC1.KNH

Mapcode Global: WH8WF.S8D6

Plus Code: 9C7VWHHH+7J

Entry Name: Oldhamstocks Parish Church, Oldhamstocks

Listing Name: Oldhamstocks Parish Church (Church of Scotland) with Graveyard Walls and Watch House

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348134

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14710

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Oldhamstocks Parish Church

ID on this website: 200348134

Location: Oldhamstocks

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Parish: Oldhamstocks

Traditional County: East Lothian

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


16th century aisle adjoined to church built in 1701, built on

part foundations of circa 14th century church. Medieval aisle

in coursed red sandstone rectangular blocks; main church

harled and with ashlar margins.

HEPBURN AISLE: gabled aisle at E end, with low, broad doorway

to S in blocked roll-moulded surround; boarded door with iron

fittings. Hoodmoulded, reticulated traceried, 3-light pointed

arch window on E gable, flanked by heraldic panels, that to

the S, initialled TH and MS and dated 1581, both brought from

the remains of Blackcastle in mid to later 19th century.

Moulded cornice and ashlar coped skews; onion finials on

skewputts, thistle finial at apex. Stone slab roof.


S ELEVATION: 4-bay. 2 pointed arch windows, with intersecting

glazing pattern, at centre, with tall lancets to outer bays. Piend-roofed later 19th century porch added between left

windows. Former doorway with ashlar surround between right

windows, blocked. Sundial, possibly 16th century, ashlar, in

sloping form with stone gnomon, set at W end of S elevation.

N ELEVATION: central gabled jamb projects to N; tall,

pedimented doorway on E return with panelled door, fan

square, 4-pane fanlight and armorial in the pediment, and

tall lancet flanking to left. 2 tall lancets on W return.

Blank nave walls flanking.

W GABLE: incorporating at centre advanced, tower with

set-offs, doorway in raised surround at base and narrow slit

in upper stage. Later 18th century ashlar birdcage bellcote

spirelet and weathervane, set on moulded cornice of tower. Horizontal-pane glazing pattern to lancet windows. Ashlar

coped skews; cross finial to main E gable. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: restored in 1907 and in 1925-7 (when it was

re-oriented to E and chancel arch added). Plaster

unfortunately removed in nave, boarding to dado level.

Coombed timber ceiling, pointed stone barrel vault to chancel

(Hepburn Aisle). Doorway at W tower end, blocked. Segmental

heads to embrasures and segmental arch into N jamb, with

round piers attached to ingoes. Ashlar surround chamfered

arrises, to segmental chancel arch. Stained glass in chancel

lights. Commemorative panel to restoration by Richard Hunter

in memory of Sir James Miller of Manderston. Lorimeresque

furnishings, circa 1930.

WALLS AND GRAVESTONES: Rubble coped rubble graveyard walls

with simple wrought-iron gates.

Selection of fine 17th and 18th century gravestones,

much-weathered, including 2 to Broadwood family (piano makers

of London).

WATCH HOUSE: 1824. Small, single chamber watch house, set in

S boundary wall. Droved ashlar with raised base course and

eaves course. Doorway at the E end. Pedimented gables to E

and W, with weathered plaque in E pediment. Pointed arch

window to N at centre with intersecting glazing pattern.

Ashlar coped skews and grey slates; stack by W gable. Simple chimneypiece inside at W end.

Statement of Interest

1907 restoration may have been effected by John Kinross RSA,

who was architect to both Hunter and Miller in preceding

years, and an expert at restoration; however, the later

interior alterations obliterated any work which might have

confirmed this authorship, and no attribution is made in

church papers. The sundial form is close to that on angle

buttress at Cockburnspath Church, similary of possible 16th

century date. The bell and belfry were apparently gifted by

the family of Broadwood and Sons of London. An early

restoration was in circa 1860, when the armorials were added.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.