This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0262 / 56°1'34"N
Longitude: -2.7376 / 2°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 354126
OS Northings: 681717
OS Grid: NT541817
Mapcode National: GBR 2T.S8X7
Mapcode Global: WH7TK.XSKN
Entry Name: Sydserf House
Listing Date: 17 May 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348150
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14721
Building Class: Cultural
Location: North Berwick
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Parish: North Berwick
Traditional County: East Lothian
Probably late 17th century. 2-storey, T-plan laird's house, built in 2 almost contemporary stages. E-W wing adjoining N-S wing off-centre, with later alterations. Random rubble, squared for openings with rounded arrises; formerly harled. Chimneyheads and skews probably replaced in 19th century. Irregular openings, some blocked some altered.
E-W WING: doorway in E re-entrant angle by N-S wing. Projecting chimneybreast adjoining W gable. Modern farm buildings abutting E gable and partially to SE. Stone slates and pantiles with slate eaves easing course.
N-S WING: forestair, probably 19th century, set in W re-entrant angle, leading to blocked doorway just breaking eaves in swept dormer. E elevation much altered by insertion of wide doorway with timber lintel. Pantiles.
INTERIOR: gutted. Evidence of former basket arched chimneypieces.
Currently in poor condition. Sydserf named after St Serf; evident on map of 1654. Estate owned in late 17th century by Aitchisons and followed in late 18th by Wadells. Yielded up as independent dwelling by earlier 19th century to house farm workers.
Other nearby listed buildings