This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6536 / 57°39'13"N
Longitude: -3.1998 / 3°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 328494
OS Northings: 863271
OS Grid: NJ284632
Mapcode National: GBR L8GH.GXT
Mapcode Global: WH6J8.TWGJ
Plus Code: 9C9RMR32+F3
Entry Name: Urquhart Parish Church
Listing Name: Parrandier, Former Urquhart Parish Church
Listing Date: 20 August 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348351
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14876
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Morayshire
Alexander Reid, Elgin (after William Robertson), 1842-43; converted to dwelling 1990s. Gothic church with 6-bay buttressed long E and W elevations. Harled, extensive use of tooled ashlar. Gabled S entrance front with engaged 3-stage square tower with angle buttresses, crenellated wallhead and angle pinnacles (reduced in height 1953). Hoodmoulded round-headed entrance in base of tower with cusped panelled double leaf doors. Tall window above under perpendicular decorated hoodmould; round-arched louvred belfry openings in upper stage of tower. Long pointed-headed traceried windows flank tower in S gable; similar fenestration in E and W buttressed elevations, blind in each end bay. Lattice-pane glazing. Stepped angle buttresses each corner terminating with pinnacle; wallhead parapet; apex cross at N gable; slate roof.
Addition of small lanceted chancel and lean-to vestry at N gable and reconstruction of interior, J Alistair Ross, 1931.
INTERIOR: see Notes.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Converted to dwelling 1990s.
The former Urquhart Parish Church is well designed and finely detailed, and forms an important part of the landscape. It is unusually orientated north/south. It stands on high ground, known as Gas Hill, on a site selected by the Earl of Fife.
Prior to conversion to a dwelling, the interior detail included a panelled S gallery, 1931 pews and pulpit, an open timber roof which replaced an earlier plaster ceiling, and a 1751 mural monument to the Rev Robert Tod from the earlier church.
Although attributed to the 22 year old Alexander Reid of Elgin, it is almost certainly the design of his uncle William Robertson whose practice Alexander had inherited the previous year, 1841. The S gable resembles an optional plan form by Robertson to the Heritors of Urquhart and Glenmoriston parish for a church at Kilmore, Drumnadrochit, of 1837, but is also recognised by McKean as being in the style of important Scottish architect Gillespie Graham. The church was built to replace an earlier building sited in the present burial ground in village, and is visible from Innes House, property of the principal Heritor the Earl of Fife.
When sold by the Trustees of the Church of Scotland in the 1990s, the new owner changed the name to Parrandier, a family name.
Statutory address, references and notes revised 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings