History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Adam Bridge, Swardon Burn, Marchmont House

A Category B Listed Building in Polwarth, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7326 / 55°43'57"N

Longitude: -2.4092 / 2°24'33"W

OS Eastings: 374400

OS Northings: 648876

OS Grid: NT744488

Mapcode National: GBR C2M4.6V

Mapcode Global: WH8XD.Y5XN

Plus Code: 9C7VPHMR+28

Entry Name: Adam Bridge, Swardon Burn, Marchmont House

Listing Name: Marchmont Estate, Adam Bridge

Listing Date: 3 October 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348970

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15389

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Polwarth

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire

Parish: Polwarth

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Duns

Description

Possibly George Paterson, started 1759. Single arched, classically-detailed bridge spanning Swardon Burn. Weathered sandstone ashlar; coursed abutments; coursed soffit. Ashlar voussoirs to round-arched openings; full-width architraved string courses; corniced eaves beneath parapets (originally balustraded). Full-height channelled pilasters flanking openings with surmounting rectangular piers terminating parapets; engaged sandstone balusters in place; remainder missing. Splayed retaining walls to side embankments.

Statement of Interest

B Group comprises Marchmont House, Adam Bridge, the Cottages near the Remains of Redbraes Castle, the Dovecot, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Ice House, The Kennel House, 1 & 2 Marchmont Estate Cottages, Redbraes, Stable Courtyard and the Walled Garden (see separate list entries). A much-weathered bridge, forming part of one of the drives accessing Marchmont House. Known as the 'Adam' Bridge, possibly as a result of William Adam's association with the house - his plans for a new house commissioned in 1724 (unexecuted) and the surrounding landscape probably laid out to his design in the later 1720s. According to a work book held in the SRO, George Paterson (noted in 1770 as "...the most reasonable and least expensive architect in this country") began work on the bridge in 1759. Balustraded parapets removed and replaced with timber fencing late 20th century. Overgrowth obscuring N elevation 1998.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.