History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barham House

A Category B Listed Building in Monimail, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3018 / 56°18'6"N

Longitude: -3.1055 / 3°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 331690

OS Northings: 712700

OS Grid: NO316127

Mapcode National: GBR 2C.6Y0X

Mapcode Global: WH6QX.8VGV

Entry Name: Barham House

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349092

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15465

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Monimail

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Parish: Monimail

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Ladybank

Description

Large, asymmetrical picturesque mansion house. 3 principal building dates, viz. 1786 (or shortly after), circa 1880 and 1909. Single storey, with attics, and variety of roof levels. Droved ashlar. Original part a 3-bay house with single bay wing to east; north and south elevations each with advanced and gabled inner bays flanked by windows continuing geometric glazing pattern; north elevation is gothic; central pointed

window in recessed panel; south elevation has canted central window and idiosyncratic geometric glazing pattern, retained in subsequent extensions. Single bay wing added to west and adjoining bay of house raised with gables circa 1880; wings added to east and to west 1909, Gillespie and Scott of St Andrews, Architects. West wing has 2 bays to south elevation, recessed door with fanlight and side-lights behind broad, roll-moulded depressed-arched opening in left bay; window above has shaped dormer head, dated and inscribed N(airn); advanced gabled right bay has apex stack corbelled at eaves level. 3 bays to west elevation, central window canted to full height, with gable above, tripartite to right bay. East wing has gabled bay to south, low domestic block against east gable with porch in re-entrant angle. Most gables crow-stepped or with kneelers; corniced apex and axial stacks; slate roof. Interior: original house has 8-sided central hall with balcony above; similarly proportioned 8-sided room to south west. Simple corncie plaster-work.

Statement of Interest

Built for Margaret Dick after death of her husband, F C Maitland of Rankeilour (1786). Index of Gillespie and Scott architects drawings in SNMR Includes various alterations at Barham. Lodge and offices are not included on statutory list. Simple flat, yellow ashlar monument, to south, erected after 1821 by the Honourable Mrs Maitland MacGill in memory of her son, Robert Maitland (died 1801) and grandson William Roy (died 1821).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.