History in Structure

Octagonal Enclosure, Over Rankeillor House

A Category A Listed Building in Monimail, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.31 / 56°18'36"N

Longitude: -3.0871 / 3°5'13"W

OS Eastings: 332844

OS Northings: 713600

OS Grid: NO328136

Mapcode National: GBR 2D.6GD7

Mapcode Global: WH6QX.KN6J

Plus Code: 9C8R8W67+25

Entry Name: Octagonal Enclosure, Over Rankeillor House

Listing Name: Over Rankeilour House, Octagonal Enclosure, and Garage and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349115

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15486

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200349115

Location: Monimail

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast

Parish: Monimail

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Enclosure

Find accommodation in


Drawings made by James MacLeran, architect who died before work began; building superintended by Alexander Laing, architect Roger Black mason, Peter Nicol and Kilgour, wrights. Built 1796-1800. 2-storey classical mansion house with symmetrical 9-bay south front, and service wings to

north. Lightly droved yellow ashlar with polished dressings. Principal entrance now in 4-bay east elevation: tall, depressed-arched off-centre doorway (possibly inserted circa 1883) glazed door, sidelights and large fanlight. 12-pane sashes to other openings. South elevation: 3 central advanced and pedimented bays flanked by giant Ionic pilasters.

Original central door now a 15-pane window; all openings in architraves; 12-pane sashes. Mutule cornice and balustraded parapet. Tripartite and 12-pane sashes to west elevation. Symmetrically placed rendered stacks and piended slate roof.

INTERIOR: central hall has round-headed passages and doors in round- headed panels leading off; decorative plasterwork frieze with swags, and delicate ceiling rose over square cantilevered stair. Low service wing to north is principally a 2-storey U-plan block with 5 bays to north elevation, central porch, 1st floor windowheads of 3 inner bays raised above eaves with flat roofs, wall-head stacks to advanced outer bays; linked to house and to low single storey rectangular-plan block to west, 12-pane sash recessed in round-headed panel in south elevation of latter.

Large octagonal enclosure (probably Alexander Laing, Architect) to north is rubble-built with ashlar dressings and flat stone coping; round-arched opening to north, 2 square-headed gates to south, blind, round-headed panels to each intermediate face; some lean-to sheds against interior of walls. Square-plan piend-roofed block (now a garage) has segmental-headed opening to south elevation. 2 circular droved ashlar gatepiers at west drive.

Statement of Interest

A Group. GD 364/644 is noted to have contained a sketch of a doorway for the house 1883; principal entrance probably moved from south front about then. 2 symmetrically positioned low, square enclosure to south

which may be garden seats. Now overgrown.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.