History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blervie Mains House

A Category A Listed Building in Rafford, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5938 / 57°35'37"N

Longitude: -3.5703 / 3°34'12"W

OS Eastings: 306234

OS Northings: 857063

OS Grid: NJ062570

Mapcode National: GBR K8KN.78G

Mapcode Global: WH5HC.4D4B

Entry Name: Blervie Mains House

Listing Date: 25 April 1989

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349230

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15582

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rafford

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Forres

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Rafford

Description

Dated 1776. S facing, 2-storey and dormerless attic,
symmetrical 5-bay house. Pinned, squared rubble frontge, harl
pointed rubble flanks, polished ashlar dressings and margins.
Slightly advanced centre gabletted bay with rusticated centre
doorpiece, small attic window and apex stack. Single ground,
1st floor and attic windows in E gable, paired ground and 1st
floor within similar attic window in W gable; 12-pane
glazing.
Rusticated quoins; decorative lipped scroll skewputts, dated
at SW and with nautilus shell carved on gable faces; moulded
copes to ashlar end stacks; slate roofs.
Later single storey, 3-bay rear wing.
INTERIOR: entrance/stairhall with cantilevered staircase
rising full-height around square stairwell; reused stair
treads with moulded risers (moulding truncated at outside
edge) and with 1776 recut underside; twisted wrought-iron
balusters between ground and 1st floor, turned wooden
balusters above. Simple moulded ceiling cornices; raised and
fielded panelled doors and window shutters. Black marble
chimneypiece in dining room, later 19th century carved
chimneypiece in drawing room with white marble slip; reused
late 17th century moulded chimneypiece (?from Blervie
Castle) in one attic room.

Statement of Interest

Blervie Castle, of which the single 5-storey tower survives

sited to N of Blervie Mains House, was demolished in 1776 to

provide building material for the new mansion, in turn

superseded as Blervie House by the 1901 building of that

name. The nautilus shell carving on the skewputts is peculiar

to Forres and Findhorn, with this example at Blervie the only

one known outside these 2 centres.

House built by The Hon Major Lewis Duff, son of William

Braco, Earl of Fife.

Farmhouse and steading not included in listing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.