This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3202 / 56°19'12"N
Longitude: -2.8771 / 2°52'37"W
OS Eastings: 345848
OS Northings: 714549
OS Grid: NO458145
Mapcode National: GBR 2N.5MLM
Mapcode Global: WH7S4.SD4P
Entry Name: Claremont, Memorial to Andrew Gullin
Listing Date: 17 October 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349506
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15816
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews and St Leonards
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Parish: St Andrews And St Leonards
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1738, restored by J Whyte-Melville in 1876 (see Notes). Segmental-arch-headed stone. To front, inset table inscribed - "The grave of Andrew Gullin who suffered at the gallow tree of Edinburgh July 1683. A faithful martyr here doth lie, a witness against perjury. Who cruelly was put to death, to gratify proud prelates wrath. They cut his hands ere he was dead, and after that struck off his head. To Magus Muir they did him bring, his body on a pole did hing. His blood under the altar cries for vengeance on Christ's enemies". To rear, inscribed - "Erected 1738, Restored 1876, Re-erected after being accidentally broken 1885".
Located among trees to the west of Claremont Farm, this simple inscribed 18th century burial memorial to Andrew Gullin remembers events related to the killing of Archbishop James Sharp by a group of Covenanters at Magus Muir in 1679. It is part of the wider history of martyrdom and the post-Reformation church in Scotland.
Andrew Gullin (or Guillan), a weaver from Balmerino, was one of two men executed in 1683 for being present at the murder/assasination of Archbishop Sharp. There are numerous recorded variations on the spelling of his name including Guillan, Guilline, Gullan and Gulline.
In his book, Balmerino And Its Abbey (1867) James Campbell records that two stones with identical inscriptions were erected to Andrew Guillan in the 18th century, the other being at Magus Muir. He also notes there is a "well-authenticated tradition that the present stone [at Claremont] was erected about 1788 and in the enclosing wall there are fragments of an earlier tombstone with words of the same inscription as that now standing". The stone was restored and re-set within a stone surround by local landowner John Whyte-Melville in 1876.
Half a kilometre to the north, Whyte-Melville also restored, that same year, the Memorial to Five Covenanters who were executed in 1679 in a vengeful response to the earlier killing of the Archbishop at Magus Muir. He also built the nearby pyramid-shaped Sharp Memorial (see separate listing - HBNum 15808
James Sharp was the subject of criticism for his part in the persecution of the Covenanters in Scotland who signed the National Covenant in 1638 to confirm their opposition to the interference by the Stuart kings in the affairs of the Presbyterian Church.
Formerly a Scheduled Monument (SM 9705), removed 2013.
Previously listed as "Claremont, Tomb of Guillan (Or Gullan)". Change of Category from B to C and description revised, 2013.
Other nearby listed buildings