This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4388 / 57°26'19"N
Longitude: -3.1281 / 3°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 332374
OS Northings: 839285
OS Grid: NJ323392
Mapcode National: GBR L9M1.ZR6
Mapcode Global: WH6KG.X9L4
Plus Code: 9C9RCVQC+GP
Entry Name: Burial-Ground And Watch-House, Mortlach Parish Church
Listing Name: Mortlach Parish Church, (Church of Scotland), Watch House and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349558
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15864
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
T-plan church of mainly 19th and 20th century appearance, but incorporating medieval and post-medieval fabric. Restored and re-cast, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son and George, 1930-1. Harled, rubble N return gable, tooled ashlar dressings. Important monuments inside. Substantial (circa 1830?) N wing with 2 later 19th century pointed-headed entrances linked by continuous hoodmould; large pointed-headed 3-light window under hoodmould in gable, similar window in S gable. E gable lit by 3 re-worked medieval lancets; similar lancet in E bay of long S elevation. Centre projecting shallow gabled bay in S elevation flanked by paired square-lintelled later 18th century windows, each window with 2 mullioned lights and shutter hooks embedded in margins.
Rear gallery gabled dormer windows; varied glazing. Steeply pitched slate roof to main portion of church with circa 1700 skewputts; slated roofs elsewhere. Rear forestair to organ loft. Canted minister's porch in NE re-entrant angle (1930-1).
INTERIOR: entrance lobby in N wing housing collection 16th and 17th century tombstones; also celtic cross. Main body of church re-modelled 1931, orientated to raised chancel at E with 1931, pulpit and communion table. Recumbant effigy of circa 1550 in segmental mural recess (recess of 1931) at NE. Substantial 1694 mural monument (J Faid, Elgin) at S. With armorial, inscription and 2 sculptured busts. Recessed war memorial chapel in centre of S wall (in former organ bay); N and W galleries with plain panelled fronts, organ houses in W gallery. Some stained glass including circa 1918 memorial window in E gable by Douglas Strachan. Various 19th century mural tablets.
WATCH HOUSE: small square harl pointed watch house with canted W front. Centre door with flanking pointed-headed windows; tall rear renewed stack; piended local slate roof.
BURIAL GROUND: large irregular shaped walled burial ground sloping S and E to valley bottom. Coped rubble walls with spear-head railings fronting road. Pair carriage entrances at E and W with simple flanking capped piers. Interesting 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Listing does not include modern burial ground on E side of
Celtic cross in entrance lobby a Scheduled Monument.
Recumbant knight in armour in N wall of chancel is effigy
of Alexander Leslie of Kininvie, died circa 1549.
Mural monument at S wall inscribed 'Mi fecit Johannes Faid'
(of Elgin) dedicated to Alexander Duff of Keithmore and
Helen Grant his wife (tombstones in lobby). Inscription
records happy marriage of 40 years and 'a flourishing
family of liberally educated children'.
Listed A for medieval E end and monuments.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
Other nearby listed buildings