History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burial Ground, Mortlach Parish Church

A Category A Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.439 / 57°26'20"N

Longitude: -3.1278 / 3°7'40"W

OS Eastings: 332396

OS Northings: 839300

OS Grid: NJ323393

Mapcode National: GBR L9M1.ZX9

Mapcode Global: WH6KG.X9R1

Plus Code: 9C9RCVQC+HV

Entry Name: Burial Ground, Mortlach Parish Church

Listing Name: Mortlach Parish Church, (Church of Scotland), Watch House and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349559

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15864

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Mortlach

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Parish: Mortlach

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Dufftown

Description

T-plan church of mainly 19th and 20th century appearance, but incorporating medieval and post-medieval fabric. Restored and re-cast, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son and George, 1930-1. Harled, rubble N return gable, tooled ashlar dressings. Important monuments inside. Substantial (circa 1830?) N wing with 2 later 19th century pointed-headed entrances linked by continuous hoodmould; large pointed-headed 3-light window under hoodmould in gable, similar window in S gable. E gable lit by 3 re-worked medieval lancets; similar lancet in E bay of long S elevation. Centre projecting shallow gabled bay in S elevation flanked by paired square-lintelled later 18th century windows, each window with 2 mullioned lights and shutter hooks embedded in margins.

Rear gallery gabled dormer windows; varied glazing. Steeply pitched slate roof to main portion of church with circa 1700 skewputts; slated roofs elsewhere. Rear forestair to organ loft. Canted minister's porch in NE re-entrant angle (1930-1).

INTERIOR: entrance lobby in N wing housing collection 16th and 17th century tombstones; also celtic cross. Main body of church re-modelled 1931, orientated to raised chancel at E with 1931, pulpit and communion table. Recumbant effigy of circa 1550 in segmental mural recess (recess of 1931) at NE. Substantial 1694 mural monument (J Faid, Elgin) at S. With armorial, inscription and 2 sculptured busts. Recessed war memorial chapel in centre of S wall (in former organ bay); N and W galleries with plain panelled fronts, organ houses in W gallery. Some stained glass including circa 1918 memorial window in E gable by Douglas Strachan. Various 19th century mural tablets.

WATCH HOUSE: small square harl pointed watch house with canted W front. Centre door with flanking pointed-headed windows; tall rear renewed stack; piended local slate roof.

BURIAL GROUND: large irregular shaped walled burial ground sloping S and E to valley bottom. Coped rubble walls with spear-head railings fronting road. Pair carriage entrances at E and W with simple flanking capped piers. Interesting 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Listing does not include modern burial ground on E side of

Dullan Water.

Celtic cross in entrance lobby a Scheduled Monument.

Recumbant knight in armour in N wall of chancel is effigy

of Alexander Leslie of Kininvie, died circa 1549.

Mural monument at S wall inscribed 'Mi fecit Johannes Faid'

(of Elgin) dedicated to Alexander Duff of Keithmore and

Helen Grant his wife (tombstones in lobby). Inscription

records happy marriage of 40 years and 'a flourishing

family of liberally educated children'.

Listed A for medieval E end and monuments.

Upgraded B to A 9.11.87

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.