This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1641 / 57°9'50"N
Longitude: -3.1688 / 3°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 329408
OS Northings: 808740
OS Grid: NJ294087
Mapcode National: GBR W9.2LTS
Mapcode Global: WH6LT.9699
Plus Code: 9C9R5R7J+JF
Entry Name: The Toll House, Colnabaichin
Listing Name: Colnabaichin Toll House
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349890
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16174
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1825, extended to rear 1965. Traditional small single storey toll house with projecting semi-octagonal front, gabled side elevations and deeply overhanging eaves. Squared and coursed pink and grey granite with pink granite eaves course; harl to rear extension.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal elevation to SE comprising 3 windows to semi-octagonal bay at left. Gabled NE and SW elevations, former with single window below date of renovation, 1965.
Plate glass glazing in timber casement windows with external secondary glazing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar and harled stacks with cans. Plain bargeboarding.
An interesting survival of an increasingly rare type. The Aberdeen Roads Act of 1865 formally ended turnpike charges, making the toll house redundant. Colnabaichin toll house is strategically sited at the junction of what is now the A939 the main route from Braemar (which formerly crossed the River Don by a ford at nearby Tornahaish) to Corgarff and Tomintoul, and the turnpike road (A944) which runs through Strathdon, a distance of some eighteen miles, and terminates at Corgarff. The New Statistical Account comments upon the vast improvement of the country derived from 'the opening up of the strath by a turnpike road running through the centre of the parish; and the formation of good cross-roads with stone bridges over the different streams'. The separately listed Poldullie Toll House, sometimes known as Strathdon Toll House, is situated close to one of these stone bridges.
Category changed from B to C(S) in 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings