This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.16 / 57°9'36"N
Longitude: -3.1931 / 3°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 327929
OS Northings: 808315
OS Grid: NJ279083
Mapcode National: GBR W8.2TS4
Mapcode Global: WH6LS.X9MD
Plus Code: 9C9R5R64+2P
Entry Name: Corgarff Church, Corgarff
Listing Name: Corgarff, Former Church of Scotland Church
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349892
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16176
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Mr Daniel architect (see Notes), 1834-5. Dignified rectangular-plan church with 4-bay nave, pinnacled bellcote with bell and good galleried interior, on peaceful site close to Corgarff Village Hall. Squared and coursed rubble with contrasting pink granite long and short quoins and margins. Granite ashlar base course. Decoratively-astragalled, voussoired, pointed arch windows and transom lights, chamfered reveals.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: gabled elevations to N and S each with centre bay comprising 6-panelled 2-leaf timber door and transom light below similar triangular window, flanking square headed lights blocked; bellcote to N gable. E elevation with 4 large windows, W blind.
Multi-pane decoratively-astragalled glazing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar skews with flat skewputts.
INTERIOR: fine little altered interior with pulpit at centre of E wall and 5-sided gallery (running E-W) on Greek Doric columns. Simple box pews, panelled gallery and decorative cast iron oil lamp fittings. Pulpit with flanking steps, and 5-sided ogee capped sounding board. Small (later) pipe organ fronting pulpit.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. This simple, unaltered church boasts a well-detailed interior of some quality. Although Hay refers to a 'Plan by Mr Daniel Hay', the coincidence of date with John Smith's Keig Parish Church, and the almost identical bellcote suggest the hand of this important Aberdeen architect. Furthermore, during 1835 Smith was working on nearby Candacraig House, one of the glen houses connected with the Forbes family. The Fasti report notes that there was a 'mission maintained by Royal Bounty set up at Corgarff in 1740. Sir Charles Forbes of Newe, Bart, built a new chapel and manse for the mission in 1834'. With seating for 250, the church and manse were built at a cost of almost £1000. The parish of Corgarff was disjoined from Strathdon and Tarland on 9th March, 1874, giving it quoad sacra status, and the last service was held in 2005.
Other nearby listed buildings