This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2063 / 56°12'22"N
Longitude: -2.9787 / 2°58'43"W
OS Eastings: 339381
OS Northings: 701948
OS Grid: NO393019
Mapcode National: GBR 2J.DW7K
Mapcode Global: WH7SP.68TK
Entry Name: Silverburn House Estate, Offices Including Gatepiers
Listing Date: 7 June 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350463
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16679
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Mid 19th century. Single and 2-storey, approximate T-plan, classically-detailed small industrial range converted to agricultural use. Brick with large ashlar quoins and original corrugated-iron roofs. Partial band course. Round-headed openings and segmental recessed arches; lunette windows. Boarded timber doors.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay range to left and single storey, 12-bay range to right. Taller range with blind arched arcade to ground, full-width doors to bays 2, 3 and 6, pedestrian door to bay 1 and multi-pane lunette windows to bays 1, 2, 4 and 5. 6 regularly disposed round-headed windows to 1st floor, that to outer left (former loft door) larger. Blind arched arcade to single storey range with 6 doors and 5 windows asymmetrically disposed, and bay to outer right blank.
S ELEVATION: 3 parallel, piend-roofed, lower ranges projecting off-centre right with 6 recessed arches, water pump to outer left and almost full-width later flat-roofed timber aviary to right. 6 arched recesses on return to left with full-width sliding doors to bays 1 and 3, and windows to bays 4 and 5; return to right corrugated iron with 2 large windows. Flanking recessed faces also with blind arched arcade and variety of openings.
E ELEVATION: 2-bay blind arched arcade to ground right, 2 small windows above and blinded oculus in gablehead. Smaller arched recess with door to outer left.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay arched arcade, each with window.
Small-pane glazing patterns (some with lying panes) in timber casement windows. Corrugated-iron roofs, ashlar skews where gabled. Brick ridge stacks.
GATEPIERS: pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers.
Group with Silverburn House Estate Cottages. David Russell leased Silverburn from the Durie Estate sometime before 1855, and Arthur Russell purchased the land in 1866. He rebuilt Silverburn House and opened a flax mill. In 1973 Major Russell gifted the Silverburn Estate to Leven Town Council and the National Trust for Scotland. The offices (mill buildings) were opened as a 'mini farm' in 1985.
Other nearby listed buildings