History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Markinch Railway Viaduct

A Category B Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1968 / 56°11'48"N

Longitude: -3.1323 / 3°7'56"W

OS Eastings: 329839

OS Northings: 701042

OS Grid: NO298010

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.FJ8P

Mapcode Global: WH6RG.VHMT

Entry Name: Markinch Railway Viaduct

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 350469

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16685

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Parish: Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Markinch

Description

Thomas Grainger, 1847. 10 arch viaduct of 8 main segmental arches with small single semicircular arches on banks at each end. Dressed ashlar piers on pedestal bases, cornice; dressed ashlar arch rings, spandrels coursed rubble with iron tie rods and moulded string course below flat coped ashlar parapet.

Statement of Interest

The Edinburgh & Northern Railway opened their Cupar to Burntisland

line on 17th September 1847, the Directors included John Balfour of Balbirnie (Chairman), the Earl of Leven and William Tullis.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.