This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8373 / 54°50'14"N
Longitude: -4.9771 / 4°58'37"W
OS Eastings: 208912
OS Northings: 553223
OS Grid: NX089532
Mapcode National: GBR GH2X.QZD
Mapcode Global: WH2SM.JP61
Plus Code: 9C6QR2PF+W5
Entry Name: Stoneykirk Old Parish Church And Railing, Stoneykirk
Listing Name: Stoneykirk Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Railings
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350524
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16728
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
1827, with alterations by John B Wilson, 1901-2. Rectangular-plan church; square-plan castellated tower. Whinstone; ashlar dressings. Gabletted angle buttresses to E and W elevations, clasping buttresses divide bays to N and S elevations; pointed arch windows with Y-tracery.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Advanced 3-stage bell-tower. Central pointed arch doorway; recessed 2-leaf timber door; tripartite leaded trefoil fanlight. Plaque above entrance reads 'Church built AD 1827'; flanking windows to N and S faces at 1st stage. Single windows to all faces at 2nd stage (larger window to E elevation). Louvred windows at 3rd stage. Castellation at apex; obelisks with foliage ball finials to corners of battlement. Single windows to recessed flanking bays.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay with central buttress. 2 entrances blocked at ground to centre of each bay. Single windows flank buttress. Railings to left enclose steps to castellated bay.
N and S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: 3 tall pointed arch windows to nave.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
RAILINGS: coped low wall and decorative railings enclose recessed E elevation bays; iron gate to railings to right.
The church is no longer in ecclesiastical use, and its windows have been infilled. The church was built at a cost of ?2000, and has 660 sittings. It was described in 1875 by W McIlwraith as, "... a handsome little edifice, with a fine square tower and belfry." See separate list description for graveyard and boundary walls.
Other nearby listed buildings