History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bargrennan School And Schoolhouse

A Category C Listed Building in Mid Galloway and Wigtown West, Dumfries and Galloway

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0573 / 55°3'26"N

Longitude: -4.585 / 4°35'5"W

OS Eastings: 234990

OS Northings: 576696

OS Grid: NX349766

Mapcode National: GBR 4C.RDM9

Mapcode Global: WH3SZ.J4WV

Plus Code: 9C7Q3C48+W2

Entry Name: Bargrennan School And Schoolhouse

Listing Name: Bargrennan, the Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 3 August 1993

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 350897

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17048

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Minnigaff

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Parish: Minnigaff

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Bargrennan

Description

Early to earlier 19th century. Single storey former school and schoolhouse; 3-bay house to N, slighly lower school adjoined to S. Rubble; painted to N. Granite rybats and quoins; polished granite margins to E elevation of house. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: house to right: double-leaf boarded door, with letterbox fanlight, at centre; windows in outer bays. School slightly recessed to left: 2 windows; gabled proch to left, with boarded door to right to N return and window to E.

W ELEVATION: windows in outer bays of house; gabled porch at centre, with door to left to N return, window to W and small flat-roofed addition, with window, to S return. 2 windows to school.

N ELEVATION: blank.

S ELEVATION: blank.

Largely 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing to E elevation of house. Red sandstone coped skews, mutual to W pitch.

Coped gablehead stacks to house. Small grey slates. 2 flat-roofed dormer windows to E pitch of house. 2 rooflights to W pitch of school.

INTERIOR: boarded dado in school.

Statement of Interest

Bargrennan School and Schoolhoue were built by subscription; the

School could accommodate 60 pupils in 1895. It ceased use as a school in 1954 and the former classroom is currently used as a private workshop (1881).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.