This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0615 / 55°3'41"N
Longitude: -4.5836 / 4°35'0"W
OS Eastings: 235097
OS Northings: 577168
OS Grid: NX350771
Mapcode National: GBR 4C.R6XR
Mapcode Global: WH3SZ.K1KL
Plus Code: 9C7Q3C68+JH
Entry Name: Garlies Lodge Motor House
Listing Name: Garlies Lodge and Motor House
Listing Date: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350908
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17058
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Humphreys Ltd, London, 1910. Single storey, gabled lodge, with encircling verandah. Corrugated iron; originally with mock half-timbered detailing. Rubble foundations. 6-pane casement windows, mainly 2-light. 6-pane upper panels to panelled doors. Moulded surrounds. Corniced rendered ridge to stack to service wing; formerly stacks to N and S pitches.
Verandah to S, E and N elevations; roof swept from main pitch to N and S, gambrel to E; timber walkway; only handrail of timber balustrade now remaining.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Door at centre. Double-leaf doors in outer bays. 5-bay verandah, with gabled centre bay.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay (3-1). 3-light window in bay to right. Regular fenestration in remaining bays. 6-bay verandah.
N ELEVATION: 4-bay (1-3). 3-light window in bay to left. Windows in centre bays. Small bathroom window in bay to right. 6-bay verandah, gabled over bay to right of centre.
W ELEVATION: service wing, linked to W gable by passage, with window to E and W. Door to left to W elevation, with small window flanking to left; 3-light window to left of centre. Window to right to gabled N elevation, formerly with door to left. Window to E return. Gabled S elevation recessed to left, with window to left and right.
INTERIOR: timber boarded walls and ceilings. Central hall. Dining room and sitting room originally in rooms to E, with 4 bedrooms, bathroom and box room. Cast-iron fireplaces.
MOTOR HOUSE: Humphreys Ltd, 1911. Garage and carport to W, residential quarters to E; both rectangular-plan, adjoined to form L-plans to E and W. Corrguated iron. 6-pane windows in timber frames, mainly 2-light. Corniced rendered ridge stack to E.
W ELEVATION: L-plan to left, garage to right. Canopied door, with 6-pane upper panel, to far right; 2 windows to left. Window to E return. 4-light window to gabled bay to right; carport to right.
S ELEVATION: roof extended on 2 timber piers to form open gabled carport to left; concrete floor; double-leaf boarded doors to garage. Single-light window to S return. Window to right, formerly with door flanking to left.
E ELEVATION: window in gabled bay to left. 3-light window at centre.
N ELEVATION: gabled; outhouse adjoined to right, with door to W and window to N.
2 cast-iron gatepiers. Drystone rubble wall.
Garlies Lodge was built by the Earl of Galloway. It was originally proposed to site the Motor House to the SE of the Lodge. The plans illustrate the Motor House as half-timbered, with a green roof and fawn walls; the carport is described as a "concrete washing area with roof", and the residential quarters are divided into a living room, a bedroom and a separate "room for 2 men".
Other nearby listed buildings