This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9518 / 55°57'6"N
Longitude: -3.0056 / 3°0'20"W
OS Eastings: 337303
OS Northings: 673651
OS Grid: NT373736
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.Y2Q3
Mapcode Global: WH7TT.SNYN
Plus Code: 9C7RXX2V+PQ
Entry Name: Pumping Engine, Prestongrange Colliery
Listing Name: Prestongrange Colliery, Pump House and Pump
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 351492
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17534
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Preston, Seton and Gosford
Traditional County: East Lothian
Harvey and Company of Hoyle, Cornwall, erected 1874. 3-storey beam engine pump house and pump. Rusticated sandstone ashlar N elevation; stugged, squared and snecked sandstone to remainder. Rusticated sandstone ashlar base course; eaves course. Cast-iron beam, Oregon pine pump rod.
S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: wooden steps with finialed balusters to round-arched opening with keystone detailing, incorporating brick infill forming tripartite doorway, with round-arched openings, comprising central 2-leaf diagonally-boarded timber door, flanked by 3-pane windows. Tooled tablet centred above door, reading '1874' flanked by the initials 'ML'. 3 windows evenly arranged and centred at 1st and 2nd floors.
W ELEVATION: 2-leaf diagonally-boarded timber door to left at ground; pairs of windows centred at 1st and 2nd floors.
N GABLE: 2-leaf, diagonally-boarded timber door with radial semicircular fanlight, centred at ground. Wall-mounted metal brackets to outer left and right at ground. Giant central beam projecting at 3rd floor from deep rectangular opening in vertically-boarded timber frontage at apex, with timber doors flanking opening, 8-pane window to right of opening.
E ELEVATION: 2 pairs of windows flanking centre at ground; pairs of windows centred at 1st and 2nd floors. Brick infilled window to left between 1st and 2nd floors. Wall-mounted metal bracket to outer left at ground, and to left of centre at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000. Includes steam end of beam; steam cylinder and cut-off valves; timber staircase with turned balusters.
10-pane fixed timber windows, covered by bipartite grills. Grey slate roof; metal ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
A Group with Prestongrange Colliery, Hoffman Kiln, and Prestongrange Colliery, Old Generating House (see separate listings). Monks from Newbattle Abbey originally mined for coal here as far back as the twelfth century. This was the start of the area s connection with coalmining, and the first shaft of Prestongrange s last mine was sunk in 1830. The beam engine was built by Harvey and Company of Hoyle in Cornwall, and was shipped to Scotland and erected in 1874. It pumped water out of the pit, in three stages, at 2955 litres a minute. The mine was eventually closed in 1963, and after abandonment and partial clearing it was saved and became part of the Scottish Mining Museum. The only other beam engine surviving in Scotland is the Devon Colliery Beam Engine House, Clackmannan (Neilson & Co., Glasgow, 1865).
Other nearby listed buildings