This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1449 / 56°8'41"N
Longitude: -4.3799 / 4°22'47"W
OS Eastings: 252234
OS Northings: 697243
OS Grid: NS522972
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.JS0C
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.PTJ3
Plus Code: 9C8Q4JVC+X2
Entry Name: Telephone Call Box, The Square, Gartmore
Listing Name: Gartmore, the Square, K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 23 February 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352538
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18484
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This K6 telephone box is located in The Square, in the heart of the planned estate village of Gartmore. An example of this distinctive and universally recognised design.
K6 telephone kiosks, produced from 1936 to a design by Giles Gilbert Scott, are of cast-iron with 3 sides of lying-pane glazing with narrow margin lights and a blind cast-iron panel to the rear. Each side is segmental-headed and the roof is saucer-domed.
Telephone number: 01877 382398
The K6 is also known as the Jubilee Kiosk, commemorating the Silver Jubilee of King George V. It was at this time the GPO set up a committee to redesign the telephone kiosk for mass production, with a Jubilee Concession Scheme providing one kiosk for each village with a Post Office. Scott was asked to design the new kiosk in March 1935, and after approval by the Royal Fine Art Commission, the K6 went into production in 1936. The new K6 was constructed from cast-iron and painted Post Office red (in 1924 the same commission had decided on the colour red for the kiosk, as it was 'easy to spot and gave an authoritative and official character.'). The new box was based on Scott's 1924 K2 kiosk which had been classical in character with small pane glazing, a reeded Grecian surround and a Soanian dome (believed to have been inspired by that on Sir John Soane's tomb or the lantern above the mausoleum at the Dulwich Picture Gallery). Aware of new architectural trends, Scott applied a modernistic style to his older box. The Grecian fluting was removed but the Soanian dome remained, as did the curved corners (which added strength to the cast-iron panels, now designed to be bolted together and erected in a day). The most noticeable change was the glazing; the horizontal bars were moved side ways to create a broad central light with narrow margin lights. This was to improve visibility and resemble 'moderne' architecture. The design of the box was so popular, it remained in production until 1968 when it was superseded by the K8 by Bruce Martin (the K7, by Neville Conder, was never widely used).
Other nearby listed buildings