This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1453 / 56°8'43"N
Longitude: -4.3798 / 4°22'47"W
OS Eastings: 252241
OS Northings: 697282
OS Grid: NS522972
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.JS1J
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.PSKT
Plus Code: 9C8Q4JWC+43
Entry Name: Murray House, Main Street, Gartmore
Listing Name: Gartmore, Main Street, Murray House
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398410
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50410
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
According to the deeds, the land was feued by the Grahams of Gartmore House in 1725 and the house was built in 1745. Traditional 2-storey, 3-bay house situated directly on the Main Street of Gartmore, it groups well with neighbouring Thorn Cottage (see separate list description) and has good streetscape and historical value. Gartmore is a planned village, laid out by Nicol Graham of Gartmore House and his descendents in the 18th century. Unlike most of the houses in Gartmore, Murray House is one of the few originally conceived as a 2-storey house, with an 18th century circular wheel stair (another is Ardvulan, also listed). It is one of the best surviving examples of a relatively unaltered house in the planned village. It was also once the home of Edward Dwelly (1865-1939), the author of the first Gaelic-English dictionary (see Notes).
Symmetrical principal (SE) elevation with central gabled later timber porch with cast-iron finial, flanked by single windows. Attached to Buchanan Cottage to left (SW) (not listed, 2004) and Thorn Cottage to right (NE) (see separate list description). To rear, there is a single storey former byre advanced to right, now converted into domestic accommodation, with a 20th century timber and glass conservatory beyond. These byres were once a common feature in Gartmore. To the left, there are 20th century French windows to left, with single window above, modern glazed door to centre, and small window above to right, which lights the 1st floor bathroom. 2 timber boarded doors give access from the garden to the former byre.
Murray House retains its original plan, with a single room to either side of a central circular wheel staircase. To left, the kitchen retains tongue and groove panelling and a timber boarded ceiling. To the right, the sitting room has exposed roof beams. The circular wheel staircase is set within a circular stone well and has shallow timber treads. Timber panelled interior doors. Some 18th and 19th century fireplaces to ground and 1st floor rooms. It has thick walls.
Whitewashed with margins to openings. Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Single rooflight to former byre. Boarded timber door to porch with modern half glazed 2-leaf inner door. Concrete tiles to roof, graded grey slates to porch and former byre at rear. Pitched roof with rendered coped gable-head stacks with some yellow clay cans. Timber bargeboards to NE gable of house, porch and former byre. Some cast iron rainwater goods.
According to the Gartmore Heritage Society, Edward Dwelly (1864-1939), aka Ewen MacDonald, author of the Illustrated Gaelic to English Dictionary (1902-1911), the first publication of its kind, lived in Murray House.
Other nearby listed buildings