This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 60.1377 / 60°8'15"N
Longitude: -1.2797 / 1°16'46"W
OS Eastings: 440110
OS Northings: 1139457
OS Grid: HU401394
Mapcode National: GBR R16Y.69K
Mapcode Global: XHD3B.RG44
Plus Code: 9CGW4PQC+34
Entry Name: Parish Church, Main Street, Scalloway
Listing Name: Scalloway, Main Street, Scalloway Church (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 18 October 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352618
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18556
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: Shetland Central
Traditional County: Shetland
1840. Double-height 2 x 2-bay symmetrical hall church with single storey gabled vestry wing projecting to rear. Harl-pointed rubble principal elevation with stugged sandstone dressings, harled side and rear walls with droved and painted ashlar margins to windows and corners.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, piend-roofed single storey entrance porch centred at ground with vertically-boarded timber door in W face, gallery windows below eaves in each bay, ashlar birdcage bellcote breaking eaves at centre with swept ball-finialled pyramidal cap.
E ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated with windows at ground and gallery levels.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation with pair of large segmental-arched windows flanking centre; 2-bay gable to single storey vestry projecting at outer left.
W ELEVATION: matching E elevation, but with modern single storey flat-roofed addition at centre.
Coloured glass to multi-pane border-glazed fixed-lights at principal and side elevations, 32-pane timber sash and case windows to rear elevation. Purple-grey slate piended platform roof.
INTERIOR: horseshoe gallery supported on fluted columns.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: concrete-coped dwarf wall to Main Street (railings removed), pyramidal caps to cement-rendered gatepiers at centre and to taller piers at outer left and right. Random rubble boundary walls to E, W and N.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings