This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 60.4957 / 60°29'44"N
Longitude: -1.0552 / 1°3'18"W
OS Eastings: 452007
OS Northings: 1179491
OS Grid: HU520794
Mapcode National: GBR R1R0.13L
Mapcode Global: XHF8F.PG65
Plus Code: 9CGWFWWV+7W
Entry Name: Including Walls, Old Hall Of Brough, Yell
Listing Name: Burravoe, Old Haa of Brough, Including Walls
Listing Date: 13 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352779
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18680
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Shetland
Dated 1672, with alteration of circa 1900. 2-storey and attic 3-bay former laird?s house with remains of former yard walls framing W elevation; single storey and attic 2-bay wing adjoining to N gable. Whitewashed cement-rendered walls.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, substantial buttresses flanking centre bay containing 20th century single storey lean-to timber porch and 2 narrow 8-pane windows at 1st floor; 12-pane window at ground in bay to left, narrow 8-pane window offset to right at 1st floor; blank at ground in bay to right, 12-pane window at 1st floor.
S GABLE: narrow 8-pane windows at ground in bay to left, and at 1st floor in bay to right; section of former yard wall extending to left containing archway with armorial panel dated 1672 centred above.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, substantial buttresses flanking centre bay and clasping single storey lean-to addition, narrow 8-pane window off-set to left at 1st floor; narrow 8-pane window at ground between centre and left bays, and in left bay, 12-pane window at 1st floor in bay to left; narrow 8-pane windows at ground and 1st floors in bay to right.
N GABLE: single storey and attic addition; modern porch in W re-entrant angle with gabled dormer breaking eaves at left, box dormer and lean-to addition to rear; remains of former yard wall extending to right with rectangular gateway.
Timber sash and case windows. Corrugated sheet cladding to roof with crowstepped skews; whitewashed cement-rendered gablehead stacks with stone copes and circular cans.
INTERIOR: timber scale and platt stair to centre of house; early 18th century lugged-architraved timber chimneypiece with heavy corniced mantle-shelf and narrow rectangular overmantle to S wall of S room at 1st floor.
This was the 17th century mansion of the Tyrie family. The original courtyard to the W was demolished leaving the existing remnants of the courtyard wall. It passed to the Henderson's of Pettister who sold it in 1896. A photograph of around this time shows the haa with the yard walls intact and the W side of the courtyard bounded by a row of cottages. The N wing is shown as a simple single storey gabled wing suggesting the present wing was raised a storey in the early 20th century. The corrugated sheet roof was originally clad with sandstone flags, which were removed and used to build the forestair on the pier building (see separate listing).