This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9153 / 55°54'54"N
Longitude: -2.9004 / 2°54'1"W
OS Eastings: 343815
OS Northings: 669495
OS Grid: NT438694
Mapcode National: GBR 8051.VD
Mapcode Global: WH7V2.FL24
Entry Name: Winton House (Formerly Castle) with Terraces Railings
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353165
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18948
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
William Wallace, King's Master Mason, Anglo-Scottish Renaissance mansion, 1620-1627, with large additions to N and W in tudor style,John Paterson, circa 1805. Sandstone rubble for original mansion, with white painted harling, ashlar stair towers, ashlar dressings, string
courses, moulded eaves cornice and ornate barley sugar stacks; 19th century work in sandstone ashlar with base, string and band
courses, hoodmoulded openings and crenellated parapets. 17th century mansion: L-plan, main block running E-W with NE jamb and square plan stair tower to NE; semi-octagonal stair tower set in re-entrant angle with NE jamb; ground and 1st floor of N and W elevations largely obscured by later additions. N elevation of 3 storeys, S elevation 3-storey and basement on falling ground by River Tyne. Circular stair turret adjoined of NE tower at 2nd floor in re-entrant angle with ogival leaded roof and small windows; renaissance balustrade to square 4-stage tower with strapwork ornament to cornice below, and observation platform. Semi-octagonal tower of 4 lower stages with ogival roof deliberately set askew, some decoratively cut ornate slates and glided finial. 2nd floor windows generally with pilastered rybats, some fluted and with ornate strapworked pediment, breaking eaves as dormerheads. Oval oculus in gablehead of E elevation of E-W block. Plan one room in depth with NE jamb 1-bay deep. 3 bays grouped closely at centre on S elevation with further bay to outer right. Tall, ornate barley sugar stacks in groups of 3 to 5, at gable and wallheads, with great variety of oramental carving. Crowstepped gables. 19th century additions: to N and W. Single storey and basement to N with canted 2-stage entrance bay at centre; single storey and basement to W elevation without basement recess; octagonal, crenellated towers closing each addition of 2 and 3-stages, with hoodmoulded lancets, blind in upper stages. Rectangular porch projecting from canted bay to N, with angle buttresses and moulded pointed-arch doorway. Taller windows at ground floor. Stone mullioned tripartities to W elevation at principal floor level, flanking canted bay set off-centre to left. Piend roofs behind parapets; flat, leaded roof with conical skylights above projecting entrance bay. Small and square-pane glazing patterns to sash and case windows. Grey slates.Cast-and wrought-iron balcony across principal floor to S, on coped ashlar parapet with cast-iron columns and decorative railings. Interior: outstanding 17th century decoration retained. The library (or King's Charles Room) contains the finest early 17th century plaster ceiling and a chimneypiece of large proportions bearing what was probably originally the pediment over the entrance door (moved in circa 1805); the flue is thought to have belonged to the castle which stood on the site before the work in the 1620s. The drawing room formerly the great hall of the castle includes a similarly magnificent chimneypiece and strapwork plaster ceiling; fine strapwork plaster ceilings in the bedrooms, with ornate panels.Stone wheel stairs. Tudor decoration to vaulted inner vestibule of 19th century addition; decorative plaster cavetto cornice to Dining Room, with apsidal ends; decoratively carved classical chimneypieces
.Notable fittings and furnishings, much of an early date. Gate to walled garden: probably 18th century; decorative wrought-iron gate wide side panels and overthrow crowned by fleur-de-lys finial; sited on S sited of garden. Terraces and railings: squared and snecked sandstone terrace walls to S; round-arched Renaissance balustrade to E beyond ocagonal pavilion; summer pavilion with hoodmoulded lancets and slated ogival roof, linked to house by further (different) balustraded
parapet. Decorative cast and wrough-iron railings to terraces and to basement recesses at N.
Renaissance work commissioned by 10th Lord Seton, extending and aggrandising a later 15th century castle; 19th century work commissioned by Colonel Hamilton. The work by William Wallace constitutes a landmark in the development of Scottish architecture after the union of the Crowns, standing as an early xample of the style developed later at Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh, and Argyll's Lodging, Stirling,for example. The Setons were also the patrons of the outstanding work prior to Winton at Fyvie Castle and Pinkie House. The Laundry Cottage Stables and North and South Lodges are listed separately. The walled garden by the stables is not included in the current listings, but the wrought-iron gate is included above.
Other nearby listed buildings