This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5001 / 56°30'0"N
Longitude: -2.9407 / 2°56'26"W
OS Eastings: 342188
OS Northings: 734624
OS Grid: NO421346
Mapcode National: GBR VL.6JWQ
Mapcode Global: WH7R4.SWV9
Plus Code: 9C8VG325+3P
Entry Name: South Powrie Farmhouse, Powrie
Listing Name: Powrie, South Powrie Farmhouse, Including Privy and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353258
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19020
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Post 1805. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse, made L-plan by earlier 19th century addition of 2-storey service wing with lower roof pitch; single storey dairy abutting at E. Privy probably 17th century and formerly part of the barmkin of Powrie Castle. Pink and grey rubble sandstone, harled at gable apex at E, grey slate roof. Windows originally 12-pane sash and case (now only at 1st floor), mostly 2- and 4-pane at ground floor; windows at S have raised margins, margined ashlar elsewhere; ashlar coped skews with skewblocks at W gable, brick stacks.
W ELEVATION: door in single storey, piend roofed porch in re-entrant with raised ashlar margins and narrow fanlight window with similar margins at left return; porch abutts 2-bay service wing with 16-pane window at ground floor left, small modern window at right, 2 windows at 1st floor;l advanced gable of main house at right with window at ground and 1st floor left, 2 arrowslit ventilators at attic, stair window at left return elevation.
S ELEVATION: 3 widely spaced bays, symmetrical. Modern plate-glazed door at centre (originally main door) with cast-iron railed, stone forestairs, window at left enlarged as timber mullioned and canted window at right, each replacing original single window, 3 original windows at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: door at ground floor right; single storey dairy projecting at centre with cut down gable stack, 3 windows to left return (outer 2 with security bars), door to right return; window at 1st floor, blank gable of service wing at far right return.
INTERIOR: 2 original chimneypieces at 1st floor. Dairy has original stone shelves.
PRIVY: sizeable, rectangular-plan, rubble-built shed known as a privy, almost completely overgrown with ivy, situated at W boundary with Powrie Castle; door at E.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls at N, S and E.
South Powrie Farm is not shown on the 1805 plan but appears on the 1859 map. See also NOTES and REFERENCES for Powrie Castle and Old Powrie Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings