This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5144 / 56°30'51"N
Longitude: -3.0242 / 3°1'27"W
OS Eastings: 337073
OS Northings: 736286
OS Grid: NO370362
Mapcode National: GBR VJ.BHH5
Mapcode Global: WH7R3.JJ4B
Plus Code: 9C8RGX7G+Q8
Entry Name: Strathmartine Castle
Listing Name: Strathmartine Castle, Farmhouse, Including Gatepiers and Adjoining Walls
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353293
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19051
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Mains and Strathmartine
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Parish: Mains And Strathmartine
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1785. 2-storey, rectangular-plan, colonial style house, made L-plan by single storey service wing projecting from NW angle (similar wing at NE angle demolished earlier 19th century), 5-bay with twin bows. Harled rubble, grey slate roof. Windows mostly 12-pane sash and case with painted ashlar margins; flat coped skews with skew blocks; end stacks.
S ELEVATION: steps to suprisingly modest central door with slab canopy; 2 full-height bows at left and right, modillioned wallhead cornice; gable of service wing recessed at far left, tripartite window (outer sections narrower and blind).
E GABLE: bipartite window at ground floor right, window at single storey lean-to at far right.
W ELEVATION: gable to main building at right blank; service wing advanced at left, 3 windows (2 with unsympathetic modern glazing), piended roof at right; drystane garden wall projects from NW angle.
N ELEVATION: stair window at centre, window at 1st floor left and right; ground floor masked by full-width single storey lean-to with window at centre flanked by projecting rounded bays, each with window; door at far right in lean-to adjoining projecting single storey service wing, 2 doors and 2 windows (1modern) facing E.
INTERIOR: original doors and shutters; some original chimneypieces with 19th century inserts; plain moulded cornices; geometric stair, stair window border glazed with stained glass.
GATEPIERS AND ADJOINING WALLS: 2 semi-octagonal, droved gatepiers with moulded caps; flat-coped drystane walls adjoining.
This house was built on or near the site of Strathmartine Castle by Captain David Laird following service in the Royal Navy during the American War of Independence. There is no positive trace of the site of the castle. The castle is marked on Edward's map of 1678 and mentioned as a 'good house' in Ochterlony. Laird improved the estate and erected new cottages; the greatly altered row to the N of the steading probably date from the late 18th century.
Other nearby listed buildings