This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8582 / 54°51'29"N
Longitude: -4.4624 / 4°27'44"W
OS Eastings: 242038
OS Northings: 554271
OS Grid: NX420542
Mapcode National: GBR HHCW.0NX
Mapcode Global: WH3V0.F48Y
Plus Code: 9C6QVG5Q+72
Entry Name: Bladnoch Distillery, Bladnoch
Listing Name: Bladnoch Distillery
Listing Date: 30 January 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353447
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19152
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Founded 1817, present buildings mostly dating from 1878 enlargement with later alterations. Distillery comprised of single, 2 and 3-storey productive, warehouse and office ranges forming 2 irregular courtyards. Whinstone rubble with stugged granite dressings.
MALT BARN: 3-storey former malting house to N with near-regular fenestration to each floor, hayloft door to 1st floor, and later machinery door inserted. gabled bay with hayloft door in gablehead to N. KILN: pagoda-roofed kiln integral with malt barn to E; gabled dormerhead to hayloft door flanked by windows; decorative bell-cast lead ventilator with deep slated neck and ball finial. 2-storey barns adjoined; W range (probably earlier malt barn) with regular fenestration to W elevation, low ground floor windows to E elevation with 1st floor windows close under eaves. 2-storey mash-house to SE with new site, piended roof and with steel-framed draft tank shelter on stilts in re-entrant angle. Single storey office range to S, and later, free-standing centre-gabled, 2-storey, 3-bay office to SW (former anagers house), dated 1878, and entered from E with falling ground and lower floor to W elevation. Modern windows; octagonal ans. L-plan 2-storey warehouse ranges to N and E, forming 2nd courtyard; E range with gabled bays to E and W, and hayloft door breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead to S. Variety of glazing patterns; some small-pane, top-hopper, pivot and casement in original openings; later slappings with modern glazing. Some window grilles retained. Variety of roofing materials; predominantly grey graduated slates. Ridge ventilators.
INTERIOR: 6 wooden washbacks in situ; 2 ball-necked steam-fluted copper stills, 2 spirit safes.
Described as extensive by 1825, the distillery was founded by the McClellands. By 1845 there were 20 workers at the plant (Donaghie). The enlargement and modernisation of 1878 spread the various ranges over a 2 acre site and Barnard, writing in 1887, referred to a square pile of buildings around a courtyard. Only 1 of the 2 original kilns survives. No malting is currently carried out on site. Bladnoch Bridge lies to SE: an overshot water wheel (no longer extant) formerly drove the machinery. Bladnoch Village lies to E (in Wigtown Burgh). For information on the various properties of the Distillery, see Hume and Moss. Modern bonded warehouses lie nearby. The distillery was refurbished in 1990. The lade runs under the site.
Other nearby listed buildings