History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millisle, Sorbie Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Churchyard

A Category C Listed Building in Sorbie, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7887 / 54°47'19"N

Longitude: -4.3842 / 4°23'3"W

OS Eastings: 246790

OS Northings: 546362

OS Grid: NX467463

Mapcode National: GBR HJK1.LGW

Mapcode Global: WH3V7.MWGS

Entry Name: Millisle, Sorbie Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Churchyard

Listing Date: 17 December 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353476

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19179

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Sorbie

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Parish: Sorbie

Traditional County: Wigtownshire

Find accommodation in
Garlieston

Description

1874-1876. Gothic cruciform church with tower to W. Rubble walling with polished sandstone quoins and chamfered margins. 3-bay nave with single bay transepts and chancel. Geometrical tracery to 4-light and rose gable windows, trefoiled lancets to nave. Mainly small pane glazing, some stained glass. End skews, ceramic ridge cresting, cross finials to gables, slate roofs. Tower in 3 squat stages with pointed-arch porch with nook shafts at ground, lancets above and tall pyramidal slate roof with bracketed eaves to 3rd. String courses between stages. Single storey presbytery adjoins to SE.

INTERIOR: reconstructed 1938. En suite limed oak pulpit, communion table, lectern and choir stalls. 2 aisles to nave. Open ceiling with braces crossed at centre. Whitewashed walls. Honeycomb lead glazing pattern with coloured, translucent glass. Stained glass: McEachern Memorial window, Christopher Whall, circa 1915, on founding of the Celtic church; by the communion table, circa 1873, The Ascension; single light, post 1925, St Paul. Organ: brought from Cally palace, Stewartry. Walled churchyard with simple square burial vault to NE of churchyard. Rubble with squared quoins.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Also known as Millisle Church. The McEacharn window is an important example of the work of Whall (1849-1924), among whose pupils were Douglas and Veronica Strachan. The original drawings of the window can be seen in the National Gallery, London.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.